New perch vs old perch

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
So.. you know how they say change the cage around..
well my boy loves his toys moved but hates having his roosting perch moved.

He currently has a (sky pet products) bamboo root perch which he chose to roost on every night. Once we took it out and didnā€™t quite get it back in the same place and moved it about 3 inches .. it was like a comedy sketch. He would sit on it, ruffle, turn around, look at his feet, turn again and then climb off, climb round the cage, until he came to it again. Then it would start all over again. We had to change it back there and then as he was getting slightly stressed.

He also has a multi branched Java wood higher up, at the other end, so last month, we bought him another one of those and replaced the bamboo perch with it.. he has been playing on it all day, but roost.. nope .. its the same fidget fiasco. now he has gone down to the smaller high one and is roosting there instead.
I think tomorrow we will have to put the large bamboo perch back. I was wondering does anybody else have similar problems? Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll have to buy a replacement bamboo perch instead soon as itā€™s starting to wobble a little.

Last edited:
So.. you know how they say change the cage around..
well my boy loves his toys moved but hates having his roosting perch moved.

He currently has a (sky pet products) bamboo root perch which he chose to roost on every night. Once we took it out and didnā€™t quite get it back in the same place and moved it about 3 inches .. it was like a comedy sketch. He would sit on it, ruffle, turn around, look at his feet, turn again and then climb off, climb round the cage, until he came to it again. Then it would start all over again. We had to change it back there and then as he was getting slightly stressed.

He also has a multi branched Java wood higher up, at the other end, so last month, we bought him another one of those and replaced the bamboo perch with it.. he has been playing on it all day, but roost.. nope .. its the same fidget fiasco. now he has gone down to the smaller high one and is roosting there instead.
I think tomorrow we will have to put the large bamboo perch back. I was wondering does anybody else have similar problems? Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll have to buy a replacement bamboo perch instead soon as itā€™s starting to wobble a little.
Charlie and Vortex! Charlie loves his perches and he's confused when I move his favorites. He's not as... errr.. stiff.... about it since being with the cockatiels, but he still has his favorite place(s) to sit. Vortex is still new to me, so we're still learning each other's habits, but 'Tex loves her roosting perch. Everything else can be moved, but her roosting perch MUST be in the same location or else she gets the confused bird look and settles for the lesser of options. Not without giving me a firm stink eye.

Yep. Lesson Learned, LOL!

Charlie and Vortex! Charlie loves his perches and he's confused when I move his favorites. He's not as... errr.. stiff.... about it since being with the cockatiels, but he still has his favorite place(s) to sit. Vortex is still new to me, so we're still learning each other's habits, but 'Tex loves her roosting perch. Everything else can be moved, but her roosting perch MUST be in the same location or else she gets the confused bird look and settles for the lesser of options. Not without giving me a firm stink eye.

Yep. Lesson Learned, LOL!
Great Iā€™m glad itā€™s not my imagination, I asked several times if he wanted to go to bed, to which I got squeaks. I high sound like the word ā€œyeaaahā€ . As soon as I put my hand in he was there and I took him to his sleeping cage. He seemed very eager to get there. (Itā€™s a travel cage in the bedroom with us)

Last edited:
Same here! I never move JJā€™s sleeping perch ( and the stuffed flamingo next to it that is his nighttime snuggle buddy). Other perches are no big deal and food dishes can get shuffled around but the roosting perch stays where it is lol!

I had to replace the roosting perch back to his old one, the. But He took two nights to actually go and roost back on it. The first night, sleeping he fell off in a panic, he just managed to catch the side of the cage with his beak and was hanging by his beak halfway up. I heard him panting in panic, saw his legs flailing around but he dropped to the bottom before I could get there... So the next night he went back up to the ā€˜second choiceā€™ .
He then fell again, this time I think was from his swingā€¦ I put back another one that was just a stepping stone perch.. with it missing, seems it put him all out of sorts. So now they all back to nearly how they were. And yes heā€™s happy, roosting and hasnā€™t fallen since.
The ā€˜newā€™ one I moved down the far end and he hasnā€™t even been on it. (he has a double macaw cage all to himself)

Last edited:
You moved his roosting perch???
You're lucky he has not rearranged your living room!!

We NEVER change our Amazon's Roosting Perch!!!
Nor his napping perch!!
Life is way to short for such foolery!!

Moving toys, no problem, but Sleeping Locations. Wow!!!

I had to replace Vortex's old perch with a new one because the old one was about to fall with her sitting on it. She took to it like a hummingbird to a flower, LOL!

Congratulations on the selection of the new Perch as you clearly chose well!
Well Vampire and Sailboat.. no body told me I shouldnā€™t move a selected roosting perch.. Ive ordered two more of the roosting perch to go in his supplies box for the future. For when it fails too. Phew thankfully the company is still around and still has them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back