New Owner

MammaMia

Jun 5, 2013
I just got a new Green Cheek conure from PetCo. The people there were helpful but I'm not sure I trust all of their information. They told me my conure, Mia, is around 11 months old and this is my first ever bird so I have a few questions.

It looks like her wings have been clipped but she is trying to fly a lot when we play. How often do there wings need to be clipped and how do I know when the time comes? Same thing with her nails. They seem pretty long and sharp and I'm afraid she will poke her eyes when she scratches.

Sometimes she sits with her foot on her head . . .is this normal or is there something bothering her?

She is very well behaved and loves to play but she is always trying to fly up to my shoulder and hide/chew on my hair. Is this okay for her to do?

Also bathing is another thing, I've tried setting a shallow bowl of water out for her but she doesn't go in, I tried wetting my hand and letting her sit on it and she was fine with that but wouldn't really wash herself.

Any other tips or advice is greatly appreciated and welcome.

Congrats on your new bird! I would suggest taking her to an Avian Vet as soon as possible, that way you can make sure she is healthy and if she is not then you can address your concerns with Petco. My Conure loves to sit on my should and make a nest in my hair till he get's himself tangled then he gets mad and wants down. But as long as she is behaving and not biting or being aggressive then I would say the shoulder is OK.

It looks like her wings have been clipped but she is trying to fly a lot when we play. How often do there wings need to be clipped and how do I know when the time comes?
First and foremost, why do you want to clip her? Is it because she is clipped? Do you have valid reasons for clipping? She *is* a bird, and she *is* meant to fly... have you ever thought about allowing her flight?

Same thing with her nails. They seem pretty long and sharp and I'm afraid she will poke her eyes when she scratches.
They pick their own nose with those talons of theirs! If they can do that, I'm pretty sure they can avoid harming themselves!

If the nails are too sharp, you can get a pumice perch that is smooth on two sides and rough on two sides. Smooth side up, this provides a rough spot to trim the nails. The cage should only have one grooming perch and it should not be located as her sleeping or main perch.

You can also trim the nails yourself (or get a groomer to do it for you) using clippers of some sort or an emery board. You'll only want to take off the smallest amount. Inside each nail is a 'quik' that, if you cut too far into the nail, can cut into the quik and cause bleeding. The further you cut in, the more blood that there will be.

Sometimes she sits with her foot on her head . . .is this normal or is there something bothering her?
She probably enjoys the sensation of preening her own head using her foot.

She is very well behaved and loves to play but she is always trying to fly up to my shoulder and hide/chew on my hair. Is this okay for her to do?
As long as you are fine with her being on your shoulder and playing in your hair, and you have nothing toxic, I don't see the issue.

Also bathing is another thing, I've tried setting a shallow bowl of water out for her but she doesn't go in, I tried wetting my hand and letting her sit on it and she was fine with that but wouldn't really wash herself.
Different birds enjoy bathing in different ways. Here's a list of ideas.

• Try luke-warm water
  • Try cold water
  • Try ice-cold water
  • Try a spray bottle
  • Try a plant mister
  • Try in the sink with the water running or just some water in the bottom
  • Try in the sink with the sprayer
  • Try in the tub with some water in the bottom
  • Try a casserole dish or similar with some water
  • Try the dish with ice
  • Try the dish with foot toys
  • Try the dish with some leafy greens like endive or other types of lettuces that may create a "natural" bowl
  • Try the dish with a vacuum cleaner
  • Try in the shower with you - watching you having a blast getting wet!
  • Try dancing the bird into the shower with the water already going
  • Try spritzing yourself, and have fun doing it! Then spritz the bird
  • Try outside in an empty cage large enough to spread wings during a nice rain shower
  • Try outside in an empty cage using the hose with a mist/shower attachment

Congratulations on your new parrot. I'm glad you asked the bathing question as I was unsure what to do with my conure Rio. At first he loved getting baths in the kitchen sink but now he tries to jump out and makes a huge mess. I finally decided to give him a shower in the tub and presto! He LOVED it. Maybe the sink or the bowl is too small for your parrot. Rio does not like to be in small spaces. I learn more about him everyday :) :)

Most Reactions

Back