NEW MACAW 12 YEARS OLD IVE JUST GOT HIM

Adreamsmum

Jul 19, 2024
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Hey guys I'm.paula I've just rehomed a blue and gold macaw he doesn't have e a name ( waiting to see what to call him) my heart is breaking for him which is why I had to get him out of there. He eats from my hand he target trains with grapes seems to be the running favourite. I fear that it is such a tragic way to treat a bird. I've decorated his cage and made a huge parrot wall the living room will be the cage I adapted for him but maybe it's too much??? I'm on day 3 and made the mistake of trusting him to go from carrier and was planning to leave the door ajar but it happened so fast I had no choice 12 hours later and every 15mins giving him sips of water and food. So I had no choice but to safely put a towel over him and put him back and he is in the huff. And I don't blame him. I've had that much advice and reading I've totally lost where I was going as I worry I've lost his trust now with the towel.. 😞 😞 😞. Just want him to feel free and happy.

I have had to …… do it the hard way (return a new bird to its cage) a few times.

In the end parrots are smart and will learn going the easy way is better.

I never had a macaw, that beak is very intimidating to me.
Knowing sooner or later I will get bitten……..
But my birds generally see the towel (or our duster on a long pole) as the bad guy not the person operating it.

Hey guys I'm.paula I've just rehomed a blue and gold macaw he doesn't have e a name ( waiting to see what to call him) my heart is breaking for him which is why I had to get him out of there. He eats from my hand he target trains with grapes seems to be the running favourite. I fear that it is such a tragic way to treat a bird. I've decorated his cage and made a huge parrot wall the living room will be the cage I adapted for him but maybe it's too much??? I'm on day 3 and made the mistake of trusting him to go from carrier and was planning to leave the door ajar but it happened so fast I had no choice 12 hours later and every 15mins giving him sips of water and food. So I had no choice but to safely put a towel over him and put him back and he is in the huff. And I don't blame him. I've had that much advice and reading I've totally lost where I was going as I worry I've lost his trust now with the towel.. 😞 😞 😞. Just want him to feel free and happy.
I was going to get a Blue and Gold once But lived in an apartment and they told me I would get Evicted , I Did get Ripped open once by a Scarlet .

Food for thought...
Any time I need to deal with a bird that isn't very tame ( mostly budgies inside the cage) and need to grab it or handle it and I don't want to destroy the progress I had already made ..I put on a hooded sweatshirt and a face mask and Sox over my hands ... it seems to help keep them from recognizing me .. and after they aren't afraid of me ... lol... but you should see the response when I dress up like that ...lol

I suggest hitting the restart button. Treat him like you just got him and seeing him for the first time (almost is anyway). Parrots are all about trust, everything you do should be measured with that yardstick - does this build or break trust with him?

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back