New GCC Owner - Is petting on the back a terrible idea?

Males can also back up, so it's not a female only behavior!

Yes, it's a good idea to have birds comfortable with you touching them all over, however petting can still be inappropriate on the back, males or females! Most homes are kept at constant temperatures year round, with around the same amount of light year round, with the same foods year round. This can result in birds being hormonal 24/7. It doesn't matter if you have a male or female bird, it's *not* healthy for them to be hormonal year round! Although males can't lay eggs, they can become sexually overstimulated which can increase the size of their gonads, they can get hernias (most common in cockatoos - a species known for easily getting sexually overstimulated because they are *so* easy to love up on and cuddle!), and may cause aggression issues.

Although I do touch my mitred conure on his back, I do not pet him there. I can lay him on his back in the palm of my hand and I can gently toss him in the air and he just lays there! This is not the same as inappropriate touching!

RP - Mating
Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

A while ago I came across a female cockatoo in a pet store that was for sale. She is an older bird and I tried interacting with her through the cages bars but a simple head scratch sent her into mating behavior, and I felt bad because I had to stop and walk away. Someone loved on her too much, and now she's probably difficult to handle without her trying to mate with someone. Including strangers.

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on this, but I pet Rory everywhere. He likes to roll over like a dog so I can pet his chest. He also likes to lift his wings so I can scratch under them. I pet him everywhere except under his back end. He is fine and we haven't had any problems and our Vet says he is so easy to work with, so does the wing clipper. So I'm sure some people frown upon it but if he is happy and that is what he likes then that is what I will do.
This is him telling me it's time to pet his chest lol

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on this, but I pet Rory everywhere. He likes to roll over like a dog so I can pet his chest. He also likes to lift his wings so I can scratch under them. I pet him everywhere except under his back end. He is fine and we haven't had any problems and our Vet says he is so easy to work with, so does the wing clipper. So I'm sure some people frown upon it but if he is happy and that is what he likes then that is what I will do.

He is so frigging cute! I think a lot of it depends on the bird. Nika likes to sit on my chest or belly and she slides under my hand so I'm lightly cupping her back like a turtle shell. It doesn't make her hormonal at all, it makes her feel secure, especially when my budgies are around with their constant antics...they make her a little nervous. When they leave she usually comes out..what a sissy! Lol!

He is so frigging cute! I think a lot of it depends on the bird. Nika likes to sit on my chest or belly and she slides under my hand so I'm lightly cupping her back like a turtle shell. It doesn't make her hormonal at all, it makes her feel secure, especially when my budgies are around with their constant antics...they make her a little nervous. When they leave she usually comes out..what a sissy! Lol!

Thank you!!! I totally agree, but I am bias he is my baby!! lol

You will know if your touch gets your bird aroused. In that case, stop. If not, all is well. No need to make a big deal of it.

My dear, you have a baby! You can't compare a baby to an adult bird! Birds don't get sexually frustrated when they are babies or even when they are young, it happens as the years go by but an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

Birds do have different personalities but their physiology is the same and they can't choose when to get aroused (humans do but not birds), their reproductive system is turned on or off by environmental factors which are 100% dependent on us, the caregivers. You create the propitious circumstances and they all get aroused - and they also all get frustrated if kept aroused for too long.

I don't really pet Oliver on his back because he simply doesn't like it but I do cup him in my hands a lot and he'll crawl under my hands and stuff. So he doesn't get a lot of petting and rubbing in the area but he does get touched there on occasion. He has shown some sexual tendencies not in relation to back touches but I can just put him down for a moment and he will stop and go back to normal.

jacob is a rather hormonal bird, he loves EVERYONE... and I am starting to figure out it is cause his hormones.. He tries to feed everyone, kiss everyone and even tries to feed objects sometimes... I am very cautious with only scratching his head, and he is allowed to snuggle with me, but if he tries to back up which he does, or lower himself to mate with a shoulder, hand or whatever I toss him back on the cage.. He is getting better and more independent, I have started to use a ton of toys and he has three foraging toys and I keep investing in more I spread it out through out my room and I just keep engaging him in physical exercise as well, climbing, jumping, running around on the floor..

But his very social manners is over arousal I start to suspect.. so I'd say be cautios with the back thing just because its not fun to undo.. At least he's not a screamer!! lol

You will know if your touch gets your bird aroused. In that case, stop. If not, all is well. No need to make a big deal of it.

How will I know??

Their behavior will give you a cue. They might crouch low, droop their wings, rub their cloaca on you, regurgitate....and get upset when you don't reciprocate!

Ok thanks to you all, looks like I'm being a bit premature as if what I am told is correct Perseus is only 11.5 months old.

Perhaps for now when the 'backing up' starts I'll just stop the attention I'm giving him so as to not reward the behavior.

Thanks for all your opinions!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back