New Family Member

MMARC234

Nov 20, 2018
Louisiana
Parrots
None :(
So it’s been a rough few years. After rehoming my quakers in May 2020 due to finances and losing my GCC in late 2022 to an accident, I took a break from being owned by birds for a while. I always missed them and mentioned how I would love another someday to my family offhand. I guess I must have said it more than I thought because a few days ago I was surprised with a video of my new lime green quaker!

I met them yesterday and I’m ecstatic, but nervous. This is my first true baby bird. They’ll be nearly two months (and weaned, thankfully) by the time I get them in two weeks, and I don’t really know what to expect as far as teaching them goes. I suppose my questions are:

1. Do I set up their cage (Prevue Hendryx F050) differently because they’re so little? I can’t imagine that their balance is that great yet.
2. Can I feed them pellets straight away or do I stick with a seed mix at the start?
3. What’s the best way to teach them to play with toys?
4. When can I start teaching them step up?
5. Is night time going to be okay? It will be their first time without their siblings.

I think that’s everything. If y’all have any other advice I’d be incredibly grateful.

Congratulations on your soon-to-be new family member, @MMARC234, and it's good to see you back! I'd stick to whatever he's being weaned onto just for now, whether it's a seed mix or not, or whatever you can get that's as close to. You can always transition onto a better diet once baby has settled in a bit. When I brought my very young lorikeet Lovejoy home he was a bit wonky on perches at first so I had a few closer to the bottom of the cage than I usually would, just to help him clamber up off the cage floor a little easier. And I had him in a cage on wheels so I could wheel it close to my couch after I put him to bed, so he could see me from under the covers. I don't know if this actually helped him to not miss his siblings or not but I guess at least he knew he wasn't completely alone.

Can't wait until you bring baby home and post some pics, I'm so happy for you!!

Congratulations on your soon-to-be new family member, @MMARC234, and it's good to see you back! I'd stick to whatever he's being weaned onto just for now, whether it's a seed mix or not, or whatever you can get that's as close to. You can always transition onto a better diet once baby has settled in a bit. When I brought my very young lorikeet Lovejoy home he was a bit wonky on perches at first so I had a few closer to the bottom of the cage than I usually would, just to help him clamber up off the cage floor a little easier. And I had him in a cage on wheels so I could wheel it close to my couch after I put him to bed, so he could see me from under the covers. I don't know if this actually helped him to not miss his siblings or not but I guess at least he knew he wasn't completely alone.

Can't wait until you bring baby home and post some pics, I'm so happy for you!!
Thank you so much! I’ll shift some more perches lower then just in case. Maybe I’ll wheel the cage closer to my bedroom at night so they can at least hear that they aren’t alone. Although with the guinea pigs’ wheeking for attention when I move at night, maybe not.

Whelp, I’ll figure it out eventually.

1. Do I set up their cage (Prevue Hendryx F050) differently because they’re so little? I can’t imagine that their balance is that great yet.
2. Can I feed them pellets straight away or do I stick with a seed mix at the start?
3. What’s the best way to teach them to play with toys?
4. When can I start teaching them step up?
5. Is night time going to be okay? It will be their first time without their siblings.

I think that’s everything. If y’all have any other advice I’d be incredibly grateful.

Congrats on the new family member! I just brought home a baby Pionus (She's currently 5 months old), so I had similar issues with my baby that you're worried about :)

1) I moved some of the perches lower and fed Vortex on the bottom of the cage. Over a week or so, I moved up the bowls to their usual/current resting place. Now my little brat is hanging upside down from the top of the cage while she eats/goofs off, so I'm not worried about her falling. :)

2) I fed my little brat her regular food mix, pellets included, from the start. She was lucky enough to get some of her regular pellets from her breeder at the get-go.

3) Example is key! I bonk my nose against a new toy and show them what to do with it. They'll eventually learn what to do.

4) I believe step-up should happen from day one. I wouldn't wait longer than 2 days. :) But that's just my opinion ;)

5) The first few nights might be a bit chaotic. Vortex screeched for a little while at her old bedtime and it was about a week before she settled into my routine :) .

My only advice to you would be to BE PATIENT. :D. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new family member! I just brought home a baby Pionus (She's currently 5 months old), so I had similar issues with my baby that you're worried about :)

1) I moved some of the perches lower and fed Vortex on the bottom of the cage. Over a week or so, I moved up the bowls to their usual/current resting place. Now my little brat is hanging upside down from the top of the cage while she eats/good off, so I'm not worried about her falling. :)

2) I fed my little brat her regular food mix, pellets included, from the start. She was lucky enough to get some of her regular pellets from her breeder at the get-go.

3) Example is key! I bonk my nose against a new toy and show them what to do with it. They'll eventually learn what to do.

4) I believe step-up should happen from day one. I wouldn't wait longer than 2 days. :) But that's just my opinion ;)

5) The first few nights might be a bit chaotic. Vortex screeched for a little while at her old bedtime and it was about a week before she settled into my routine :) .

My only advice to you would be to BE PATIENT. :D. Good luck to you!
I had to laugh when I saw Vortex’s hatchdate— my Leo’s was the same day! He also loved to crawl upside down on the top of his cage, I called him an ‘Exorcist Bird’ because of it.

Thank you so much for the advice!

Got a new picture of Quibble and an update. The biggest sibling is already weaned and my babu is the most reluctant to eat on their own right now. So the pick up date will be extended at least another week.

I’m absolutely fine with it because I’m still waiting for some odds and ends to come in.

Quick question: how do y’all fill the bottom of the cage? I’ve got a low dowel perch (plus some toys at each end) with a seagrass mat angled to pass it and reach the floor. Is there anything else that I’m missing?

Attachments

• IMG_2573.png
    IMG_2573.png
    382.7 KB · Views: 5
What a cutie! I’m confused by your question. Fill the bottom of the cage? I avoid putting anything at the bottom because they just poop on it. 😅

What a cutie! I’m confused by your question. Fill the bottom of the cage? I avoid putting anything at the bottom because they just poop on it. 😅
I guess I should have said ‘Should you fill the bottom third of the cage with anything else other than perches (to help them climb back up)?’ 🤦🏻‍♂️ It’s been a long day lol

I guess I should have said ‘Should you fill the bottom third of the cage with anything else other than perches (to help them climb back up)?’ 🤦🏻‍♂️ It’s been a long day lol
The weekend is near! 😄 🥰 They can easily climb the sides of a cage. Although, Our birds favor the vertically hanging ropes. They can get to the branches with minimal droppings. It’s all relative. You are the interior designer of your accommodations. 🥰

Last edited:
Got another update late this afternoon. Quibble’s still eating formula 1/2 times a day, but they’re officially eating pellets! They’ve also found their voice and are the loudest in the nursery lol

The only things I’m waiting on are the last of the rope perches and swings, some foot toys and shreddables, and finally a new travel carrier.

One thing I’m still debating on is the cage location. Right now it’s in the extra bedroom but it’s in the way. I could put it in my bedroom, but I have five guinea pigs who live in a 2x6 C&C cage and I’m wondering if the hay dust would be a problem. I have a Honeywell 300 and a Levoit core 300p running 24/7 inside.

As usual I’m lost again and probably overthinking it.

Attachments

• IMG_6154.jpeg
    IMG_6154.jpeg
    570.8 KB · Views: 3
Got another update this afternoon about Quibble! They haven’t cried for formula since yesterday so I’ll most likely pick them up this week!!!

I wish the dang carrier wouldn’t have got delayed but thankfully I have a backup carrier for the guinea pigs I can use.

Thankfully I cleaned up the extra room earlier today so that’s where the cage will stay for now, although I’m considering getting a sleep cage and moving that one to my room because I have a tv and stereo (or furry company/noises) for when I’m not home. Maybe next paycheck.

They’re also not very photogenic lol

Attachments

• IMG_6201.jpeg
    IMG_6201.jpeg
    410 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6209.jpeg
    IMG_6209.jpeg
    536.1 KB · Views: 5
Got another update this afternoon about Quibble! They haven’t cried for formula since yesterday so I’ll most likely pick them up this week!!!

I wish the dang carrier wouldn’t have got delayed but thankfully I have a backup carrier for the guinea pigs I can use.

Thankfully I cleaned up the extra room earlier today so that’s where the cage will stay for now, although I’m considering getting a sleep cage and moving that one to my room because I have a tv and stereo (or furry company/noises) for when I’m not home. Maybe next paycheck.

They’re also not very photogenic lol
Quibble is going to have the most wonderful life with you - lucky baby!!

Sorry for the late update, I have some bad news unfortunately.

Went to get Quibble Friday morning and as soon as I sat down in the living room and he saw me it was an instant temper tantrum. Unhappy growls, head down, wings flared, and false lunges galore. I don’t know if hate at first sight exists, but he sure wasn’t thrilled to see me. After trying to entice him to interact with me for 20 minutes I realized that this wasn’t going to work.

Maybe I’m superstitious, but I need to see some sort of positive emotion from any potential family member before I take them home. So I decided not to take Quibble. Thankfully his breeder was incredibly nice and understanding and was shocked at how quickly he took a dislike to me.

After that, I took my turkey Eeyore (my pic) to the vet because she had rapidly been losing weight, breathing through her mouth, and looking off. I got a phone call yesterday afternoon saying that she has an inoperable tumor in her sinuses and questionable spots in her lungs. So tomorrow morning I’m going to call so she doesn’t have to hurt anymore.

It’s rough. I’ve had to do this before with my 12 year old poodle, but it never gets easier.

Sorry for the late update, I have some bad news unfortunately.

Went to get Quibble Friday morning and as soon as I sat down in the living room and he saw me it was an instant temper tantrum. Unhappy growls, head down, wings flared, and false lunges galore. I don’t know if hate at first sight exists, but he sure wasn’t thrilled to see me. After trying to entice him to interact with me for 20 minutes I realized that this wasn’t going to work.

Maybe I’m superstitious, but I need to see some sort of positive emotion from any potential family member before I take them home. So I decided not to take Quibble. Thankfully his breeder was incredibly nice and understanding and was shocked at how quickly he took a dislike to me.

After that, I took my turkey Eeyore (my pic) to the vet because she had rapidly been losing weight, breathing through her mouth, and looking off. I got a phone call yesterday afternoon saying that she has an inoperable tumor in her sinuses and questionable spots in her lungs. So tomorrow morning I’m going to call so she doesn’t have to hurt anymore.

It’s rough. I’ve had to do this before with my 12 year old poodle, but it never gets easier.
I'm so sorry to hear about Eeyore, @MMARC234, you are SO right, it never does get any easier. That's a pretty rough situation with young Quibble too. Do you think you might give it another try with him or has the decision already been made?

Most Reactions

Back