New bird owner and new to the forum!

Jwsol_l

Sep 30, 2024
Parrots
Peach face lovebird
Hello everyone, Im Tala, about a few weeks ago my beautiful peach face lovebird was put in my care.

For a quick backstory, my brother in law welcomed the bird about a year ago. For some unfortunate reasons my sister was unable to care for him so she put him in my care. The thing is i have no idea how to care for a bird, Im terrified of letting him out of his cage, i play with him and pet him through the cage but nothing else. I mostly feel guilty and ashamed for it, I would love some advice on how to care for him.

Thank you in advance and Im so excited to be a part of this community.🫀🦜

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpeg
    IMG_0445.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 5
Welcome! Glad you're here! What a beautiful little lovebird! What's it's name?
You're off to a good start, bonding with your new bird through the cage! If you want to be able to bring it out, I would start in a closed room just the 2 of you( not the bathroom) make sure windows and doors are closed. Talk to your bird and get some millet and put your hand on the cage and just sit still talking. This will get him used to your hand in the house. I would do this until the bird is comfortable with your hand there ( multiple sessions maybe. 5-10 minutes. Then I would start teaching "step up" by putting your index finger close to his chest with a little nudge and say "step up" offer a treat or praise when it does. Do this many times different sessions until he is comfortable stepping up & sitting on your finger in the his house.
When he's comfortable doing that try moving your hand around the cage with him on your finger. Do slowly. If you can do that and he stays perched, bring him out slowly. Keep practicing. Respect your birds boundaries and do not force. If it gets
scared back off. Limit training to short sessions.
Never take your bird outside without it being in a carrier or on a leash. He can not take care of himself on his own.

Hope this helps a bit! Make sure you find an avIan vet near you! @Terry57 has an amazing international list here on the site!

Last edited:
Welcome!

Good advice.

Praise to you for taking on this adorable critter. You're our kind of folks. The search engine is really good for learning about bonding diet, health all that.
Here's some possible vet info.
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.
If none are near you, maybe you could call and ask for a recommendation for somebody in your area.
And... sometimes, distant vets will offer brief thoughts or advice...

My nephew named him tweety, hahaha..... yesterday i had let him out for the first time in a closed room, but he wasn't comfortable at all with my touch so i stepped back and allowed him to roam freely around the room, for about half an hour until he himself stepped into his cage. I felt quite guilty because it was only half an hour not the advised duration (2 hours+)

Most Reactions

Back