Need help!!!!

angeloecw

Sep 26, 2011
Hi guys im new to this fourm first time posting so i wanted to know if you guys can help me pick a parrot keep in mind im 16 year old boy who has alot of time in his hands to take of a parrot also the type of parrot im looking is a talkive one and it can learn tricks and is uder 100 bucks i cant get a quacker cause i live in pa i used to have one but i had to give it away because of that reason color size dont matter just not toooo small thanks guys hope you guys can help me out sorry for the spelling its 3 am and i have school tomorrow so i guess good nite:D :green: miss my old quacker i named him juan

Hey and welcome to the forum.Most of the larger parrots are a life long commitment.I got my first Amazon at age 14 and I'm 54 now,she is still with me but there have been many sacrifices (on both our parts) along the way.Girl friends/wives don't always understand,what are you going to do when your family goes on vacation? Go off to college? I'm not saying these issues can't be worked out but getting a large parrot is like having a small child who depends on you for the rest of it's long life.That same parrot could also be your best buddy the rest of your life,but it won't be easy.You really need your family on board for things like vet bills and bird sitting,those type of things will be hard to manage on your own.Having only a 100 dollar budget ,it will be hard to find a tame,large, talking parrot.Maybe visit some rescue/rehoming organizations in your area and see about fostering a needy bird to see what your getting into.I'd be careful about buying a bird off of CL and thinking it's all going to work out.Remember that old saying,You get what you pay for. Good Luck and keep researching while you have lots of free time.

Thank you alot but I was saying 100dollars for the bird it self I work so I shuld be able to pay for the bills and my mom wanting for mr to get a bird and she will help or pay the bills when I can't also about getting a bird from a shelter do you think they will have young birds such as a year n down also man ever since you were 14 that's amazly so can you please give me some different types of birds that you'll think I'll like I'm sure I'm ready for a bird I'm just so overwelled with how types there are also I got cages toys I know how to trim nails feathers on the birds I'm ready to be committed to my bird and my future best friend also I know if I get a bird that cost 100bucks it isn't going to last as long as urs but but I lasted two years with my Quaker n those two years were the best years of my life n I still vist him when I go to new York

not sure how much they cost there as im on the other side of the world, but have you considered a conure?
They are affectionate, active cuddly little clowns - a hand raised baby would be the way to go. Google green cheek conure and have a look! I dont want to say 'easy care' as every bird is a huge committment, but they might be a good choice for you at your age! (sorry dont mean to sound patronising!). Their bites are much less violent than the larger birds - with macaws and cockatoos you are looking at serious damage...!

ps doesnt have to be a green cheek - just a good place to start...

Last edited:
haha thanks those birds are beaitful im not worry about the biting that comes with every bird i think i may get a cockatiel there good for poeple at my stage and thanks for the info

a cockateil would have been my next suggestion! They are FANTASTIC little birds! Welcome to the forum!

and rite in my price range and la 15 years thank you so much henpecked andmrob

Cockatiels are great! I had a couple growing up, and they were great. The boys talk more than the girls generally, but girls are great too!

Good luck on your search for a parrot. I was going to suggest a conure or a cockatiel also but sounds like you have been given a lot of great advice already so just wanted to say good luck.

I'm not sure what part of PA you are from but we have quite a few rescues. Wings over williamsport, feathered sanctuary and several others, here's a list of some local rescues. Facebook

The only problem going the rescue route is that no rescue will adopt to anyone under the age of 18, some are even 25 and up, so you would have to have your parents help to do that. I know feathered sanctuary has quite a few half moon conurs, lovies, and tiels. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back