Need help with the great escape artist.

Yeah, well she hasn't discovered the joy of snapping door hinges yet...:eek:

MAGGIE HAS...

Maggie's $1000.00 double macaw cage:

1. No treat cup door latches on either side. (This way she gets to eat out on the terrace!)

2. Double doors - one door with two broken hinges tied off in place - door closing mechanism removed. (One door down. One to go... )

3. Several upper cage welds popped... (apparently she got bored!)

Now, this is from a bird that has no need to escape from her cage because the cage doors are always open... Can you imagine what would happen if I tried to lock her in for an extended period of time?!

And this is one of those extra thick King's cages built for Hyacinths and Green Wings... it's not just some flimsy knock off!

The welds on my other cages wouldn't stand a chance against that crowbar of a beak...

OH, YES THEY CAN!!!

I had to laugh at a friend who has zero experience with birds. She asked why I didn't use a carabiner. I laughed and told her that would take less than a second for Zoe to get undone. This is the bird that has removed the door and latch assembly.

A full second?! That's being overly generous...

Fraction of a second is more like it!

Simple, I just attached a length of chain across the doors held in place with a small pad lock at each end. Just remove one pad lock when you need to open the door and reattach it when your done. Believe me your bird will never get out though the food doors again unless you give him is own key.

Fingers crossed that Zoe remains in her cage today! That is waaay too long a drive for you to run home to put her up:(

Yeah, well she hasn't discovered the joy of snapping door hinges yet...:eek:

MAGGIE HAS...

Maggie's $1000.00 double macaw cage:

1. No treat cup door latches on either side. (This way she gets to eat out on the terrace!)

2. Double doors - one door with two broken hinges tied off in place - door closing mechanism removed. (One door down. One to go... )

3. Several upper cage welds popped... (apparently she got bored!)

Now, this is from a bird that has no need to escape from her cage because the cage doors are always open... Can you imagine what would happen if I tried to lock her in for an extended period of time?!

And this is one of those extra thick King's cages built for Hyacinths and Green Wings... it's not just some flimsy knock off!

The welds on my other cages wouldn't stand a chance against that crowbar of a beak...

OH, YES THEY CAN!!!

Zoe doesn't do anything that requires too much physical effort. She won't even crack walnuts. I have to start them for her. The toughest nut she will crack is a pecan and half the time she tosses them. Her favorites are walnuts.

Wish you could figure out a way to put a whole walnut on the latch on that feed door...sounds like it would be too much work for her to get out:)

[
Zoe doesn't do anything that requires too much physical effort. She won't even crack walnuts. I have to start them for her. The toughest nut she will crack is a pecan and half the time she tosses them. Her favorites are walnuts.

Walnuts are the nut of choice with my macs as well, with pistacios coming in a close second... (Only with mine, it's more like, SNATCH! CRUNCH! CRACK...)

Sally's favorite nut as well. With my other two it's cashews, with pistacios coming in a close second.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back