Need Help - Disabled Baby Grey - Please Read

birdlover74

Jun 14, 2012
Harrisburg PA
Parrots
Have zebra and society finches and two cockatiels: Daisy and Shakespeare
Hi -

I have been volunteering at a parrot rescue for awhile now and two greys had 4 eggs. The rescue owner really kept an eye on them because there was a history of the parents chewing the toes off of the babies. She checked at 8am and none had hatched she checked again at 9am and a baby had hatched and the parents chewed the toes off of one foot and chewed a small part of babys wing off. She pulled baby immedietly and put in brooder. Baby is getting stronger and bigger everyday. She went back to take the other eggs out and the parents had opened the eggs and attacked the other babies, they didn't make it. That's the background. I need grey people's input on adopting this sweet baby. I've fallen in love with it and go over every other day to love it and help with feedings. I've had birds all my life but the smaller birds. I want to adopt a grey hence me volunteering at the rescue and working with greys. I just am feeling a little nervous about adopting a baby grey who will be disabled. Not that I wouldn't love it with disabilities but what kind of life will it have and will it be ok and be a "normal" bird despite its disabilities. I know I will need to modify the cage and put flat perches in but if anyone can share with me their knowledge or experience so I can get an idea of this is something I can do please send me a note. I guess I'm wondering if it will be able to get around and play and explore. It does have one normal foot. Just need some advice and thoughts from people who aren't involved and bonded with baby yet. Any thoughts or help would be so appreciated. Thanks.

Why would a rescue be breeding birds? Also it shows that the owner is a very irresponsible breeder. If it was known that the parents were notorious for chewing the toes off of babies then the eggs should have been pulled and incubated, not allowed to hatch in the parents presence. If its a known trait, it is very irresponsible of the breeder to allow that to happen. I'm sorry for the rant, its not directed at you. Its just hard because this poor baby (and its now deceased siblings) has had to suffer and will continue to (due to its permanent injuries) because of the owner being irresponsible. This is a situation that could have been 100% avoided. :( As far as what to do with the baby? Completely up to you. If you are thinking of adopting it, there will a lot that you will have to do differently and I would be prepared for several vet visits. I hope the owner has at least taken the chick to a vet and a the least had it evaluated.

I'm sorry that my post doesn't really help you with your decision, I'm just kind of taken aback by the situation, sorry. :(

Alright, deep breath - now I'm over myself:
Does the chick have all the toes on the other foot? Also, how much of the wing was destroyed? If the toes are off of just one and the bird has all the toes on the other, it should be able to perch okay. I have seen a Too that only had toes on one foot. He got around his cage really well, he had regular perches in his cage and he perched with no problem. He did use his stump to help balance, and would walk with it on occasion. I wouldn't suggest using only flat perches (maybe only offer one or two, I would have the majority still be regular perches), I would do a mix of both. The chick isn't going to know any different and will learn how to move about despite its disabilities (more than likely, better than you think it will. They are super intelligent and very resilient). Honestly I have seen one legged crows in the wild do just fine. The extra medical attention would be if the stump is over used, you may have to do some amputations in the future, it all depends on how the chick develops with it (also potential early onset of arthritis in the good foot). As far as whether you should adopt it or not, is going to be completely up to you - only you will be able to really make that determination. If it were me and I felt a connection with the chick then I wouldn't think twice about taking it home, the disability wouldn't be something that would stop me.

Back to the chick, one foot? i've not seen that to be an issue with other birds. It can't hold large pieces of food and eat with one foot but other than that, it should be fine. PS tell the ' ding bats" that if they give them a nest box then they should buy an incubator, either that or that pair is not a compatible pair,really how many babies do they need to kill before "waking up". Those birds where probably breeders who had their eggs pulled to incubate and never raised babies before (very common), allowing that to continue is ,,,well,wrong. Yes if the baby survives , i would take it home as a pet.

I have zero direct experience, but if it is only missing toes on one foot and has some minor wing damage, aside from some vet visits early on to make sure everything else is going well in its development, I don't see any reason why it can't have quite a normal life. One thing non-human animals seem to do way better than humans is just figure out how to get on with it and don't waste time worrying about what they can't do... I'm voting for you taking the baby home!

I also wondered why they didn't go with an incubator, and I have zero experience breeding, unlike henpecked.

How to Set Up a Bird Cage Properly For Elderly Birds

as its been said, one foot might not really be that much of an issue, but if the wing is also rather damaged you might have a bird with terrible balance on your hands. (since its really young though, it might just learn to live with it and be fine) This blog post isn't exactly relevant, but I think it does have some interesting ideas for setting up a cage in the case where a parrot isn't the most confident percher

I would also make sure it has seen a vet, if there is damage that has to be repaired - the sooner the better, you don't want him to be in constant pain or stress later because of something that has healed wrong when it could have been fixed now.

(this is pure speculation... but if the feathers no longer grow properly on the damaged wing or if the wing itsself cant support flight... it MAY be an idea to clip the healthy wing (or both), just to even out the balance and prevent 'spiralling' if it ever does attempt to fly and cant...)

Good luck with this little guy! It sounds to me like he really needs you! I am sure he will adjust fine where he is so young now. He probably won't even know he is disabled.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back