my sweetheart is a monster in disguise! :(

My spouse is having the same problem with our GCC. They are known for it. So far, I just try to keep her busy when she is on me. One thing I don't do is allow her on my shoulder.

My vet told me that being on my shoulder tells her that she is dominant, so I am training her to play on her play stand and to respond to a "target" stick. She has bit me a few times, but usually when she is tired and wants to go to bed, or she doesn't want to be on my hand and is trying to insist on being on my shoulder lol.

She absolutely hates going back in her cage, so if her biting is too bad it's what I do. I tell her "no biting" and I make her go back in her cage.

She had her first experience in a towel today. It was a positive experience and she just kinda laid in it calmly and let the vet examine her no problem. Not sure how much of a punishment the towel would be for her hehe

Good luck with your baby! We are working hard with ours.

Pumpkin is allowed on my shoulder because he never gives me any problems up there. He's well potty trained and I've learned to read his body language for when he needs to go. He is very gentle all the time unless in trying to put him down. I just don't want him to start developing problems.

I like him riding around on my shoulder though because he goes out in public with me and holding him on my hand would be inconvenient when he's not in his travel cage.

Ann I just make my open hand into a flat "wall" and slowly herd Tazzy down my shoulder until he steps off me. I don't get bit, and this older breeder bird hates fingers. It makes him spaz out a bit but he's fine afterward. Rather than grab him, herd him off you that way. My husband also takes a large red straw and uses that to put between his neck and the bird and the bird moves away from it and down the arm. He's able to back him all the way down his arm that way without touching him.

And I know what you mean about your conure attacking while he's on you or near you. You are his chosen person, or mate. He protects you from anyone. Mine will grumble talk and attack anyone who walks up to me while he's on my shoulder. He can't fly yet, so he can't go far. All they have to do is walk away. After his wings grow out, I'll be in your position too.

Last edited:
I would suggest working on basic target training and then targeting him off your hand. I found that it only took one session for my Quaker to understand that touching the stick=treat and if I offer him his favorite then he will eventually go after the stick. The temptation is too great. I've used it to get him off his playtop and my shoulder (my shoulder is the time he tries to bite like yours does on your hand). He likes to try and be tricky by just putting ONE foot out on the perch but I keep the stick just far enough away that he can't touch it without moving both feet. Mr. Sneaky is his middle name. That is a good way for you to do it without getting bit or having to force him off by pressing him into the perch. If he won't go for the stick, try luring him off with his favorite treat, train some more on the stick, then use the stick. I would not allow him to stay on my hand after he has bitten me, period. Grabbing him or toweling him works as an immediate solution, but you really have to train him to step down or he will continue to be a jerk about it.

Great idea Puck, I'll have to try that. I've been working with my macaw and forget to work with this little guy because he loves me already. He's too easy.

Thank you Minimaker and Puck for those suggestions!! I really should try target training it's just so easy to think it's unessesary when you only have a few minor problems, but it is something that could help later down the line. He's such a sweetheart, I want him to stay that way.

Many times.

And we are about to open up another can of worms here... folks are not going to like my "Mr. Towel" answer. BUT IT WORKS!

He can be as opinionated as he wants. But when he goes into attack mode, a line is drawn in the sand. Another bird wouldn't sit there and let a puny conure chase him off. He needs to learn his place in the flock.

At his size, a thick face towel will do nicely. The next time he "charges" mom, Mom throws the towel over him, and wraps him up all snug like a birdie burrito, and flips him over onto his back. (Where he is 100% vulnerable, and 100% sure there is nothing he can do about it.) Two fingers controls that little conure beak. So two fingers over the beak, and the command "no biting."

He doesn't get to stop being a birdie burrito until he is calm. Then mom set him down and praises him for being "better." Then rewards him with a favorite treat.

Which he better take without biting, or he ends up a birdie burrito again!

YOU PROBABLY WON'T HAVE TO DO THIS ONE TWICE!!!

P.S. "Haters gonna hate!" I know it's controversial. I'm old school. I know there are plenty of people who disagree with this advice. Like it or not, I know for a fact this one works... (Toweling a bird doesn't hurt it, or how would you groom them, and every avian vet would be a bird abuser... so there is that!) NO, THE BIRD ISN'T GONNA LIKE IT! He's not supposed to like it. He doesn't have to like it. He has to stop attacking people!!! You're not the one in charge little bird. And four other little words: "Conure spoiled bird syndrome." THESE BEHAVIORS GET OUT OF HAND REAL FAST IF YOU DON'T NIP THEM IN THE BUD WHEN THEY START...

If you don't like my advice. Just give some of your own. Get opposing opinions out there for all to see. There is no one right answer. You try things until you find one your bird responds to.

Yeah, I've dealt with this one a few times...

So my conure is testing boundaries it seems. She is 3 months old and has started biting relatively hard. I'm not sure why the towel is controversial...I just had to do it with Pepper for the first time and guess who enjoyed it? [emoji19] I don't know that this is the reaction I'm going for. She stopped biting but was instantly snuggled and making her happy sounds. [emoji39] She likes being on her back! She's a very strange bird! I laid her in the cage on her back and she stayed that way!!!

Most Reactions

Back