My parrots hates me

am4z1ng

Dec 1, 2012
Media
Albums
Turkey
Parrots
One African Grey (Bonnie), 20 months old and one Amazonian orange wing (Kiwi) 16 months old
I went away for 2 weeks and left my parrots in the care of my partner. On returning, my african grey Bonnie doesnt want to go near me. He was always good before and although still young, he was learning well. We spend most of the day with our birds, normally but now he wont even let me step him up out of his cage and when i step him up from his perch, he does so reluctantly and trys to get away from me. I am so upset and dont know whats wrong.

Anyone else had similar experience or advice please? I want my baby bird back! :-:)grey:

He's young, so he's probably trying to pick his favourite person. My first macaw was a one person bird and it was amazing and so privileged to be the one he chose... for me, not any one else, because no one else could handle him and he attacked every one else, esp. those who came too close I would start over retraining him to step up, and getting him to trust you. food is the way to any animals heart aout 90% of the time, so everytime you enter of leave the house give him his favourite treat. He will start looking forward to you sooner than you think.

Awe thank you for reply I just cannot believe the change in him, as I am the one who normally spends time with him every morning, feeds and cleans his cage etc. I am upset but wont give up, guess it is back to the start eh. Slowly slowly or as they say in Turkey, yavas yavas!

He could also be mad you went away.

Play harder to get . Don't be so available. Some of my birds will try to "punish" me for leaving them. They'll come around. Conures are famous for this behavior.

When I first got my sennie she was my bird, but after 3 days away she became my husband's bird, even though I'm the one with her all day. It took six months before she became 'our' bird. She wasn't too bad, but you could tell she was only going to me because I was the only one home.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back