My Conure Hates My Boyfriend

Fluttershy

May 28, 2023
Media
Iowa
Parrots
Green-Cheek Conure, undecided on a name
Soooo I have a 2 year old conure named Toby who absolutely despises my boyfriend and everything he stands for. Cory, my boyfriend, is very shy, quiet, and nervous like Toby is the father in law and is worried about offending him somehow. Toby is typically ornery but not mean. Around me, he’s just the typical GCC child, playful and goofy, but as soon as Cory comes over he puffs up and screeches like he owes him money. He will accept treats as bribery but will try to attack Cory at every opportunity. Cory has never interacted with birds and so he’s nervous and doesn’t want to piss Toby off, and despite my best efforts over the last 4 months, it hasn’t seemed to help. Any ideas on how to gradually introduce Toby to a man? He’s been around my father before alone for long periods of time when I’m on vacation, but my dad is a bird guy and has interacted with birds for 40 years and knows how to read them. I thought maybe it was a male thing but he likes my dad, so idk how to make him understand that Cory isn’t a threat? Any ideas?

Soooo I have a 2 year old conure named Toby who absolutely despises my boyfriend and everything he stands for. Cory, my boyfriend, is very shy, quiet, and nervous like Toby is the father in law and is worried about offending him somehow. Toby is typically ornery but not mean. Around me, he’s just the typical GCC child, playful and goofy, but as soon as Cory comes over he puffs up and screeches like he owes him money. He will accept treats as bribery but will try to attack Cory at every opportunity. Cory has never interacted with birds and so he’s nervous and doesn’t want to piss Toby off, and despite my best efforts over the last 4 months, it hasn’t seemed to help. Any ideas on how to gradually introduce Toby to a man? He’s been around my father before alone for long periods of time when I’m on vacation, but my dad is a bird guy and has interacted with birds for 40 years and knows how to read them. I thought maybe it was a male thing but he likes my dad, so idk how to make him understand that Cory isn’t a threat? Any ideas?
Toby has accepted a single head scritch from Cory and any treats he offers are taken, but if I hold him and Cory is sitting next to me, he puffs up his entire body and swivels like he’s snapping his fingers in a Z formation and ready to square up.

I feel for you. My youngest son helped wean Salty, but since he moved out several years ago, Salty hates him on sight and would gladly remove some meat if given the opportunity. I was just away for a weekend, and my son looked after Salty, which just infuriated this bird, for several days after!

All you can do is to have your B/F make peace offerings and carefully act when around your conure. Parrots can be very stubborn and opinionated when it comes to letting people into their inner circle.

I am sorry you are going through this. I have two GCC and they aren't easy imo. Have you done any target training with your bird? Maybe if your boyfriend is comfortable with targeting him through his cage bars and treating him that would help establish a positive interaction. There is also a video on YouTube from "BirdTricks" called "the power pause". That may be a good one to watch and try. Good Luck! :)

And then there's always the SURRENDER solution. I have spent 40 years with a pigeon-size rival who rules the roost.....

When your bird is in his cage, your boyfriend should give treats and head scratches so he has a good association and builds the relationship. Probably wouldn’t hurt for both of you to spend time near the cage together so your bird knows that your boyfriend isn’t a threat. Speak sweetly, touch your boyfriend so he know that he’s safe. Include your bird, with a little head scratch when he’s being good, so he doesn’t feel left out.

Most Reactions

Back