My BFA dropped 17.7oz to 14.5oz in 4 months without tablefood.

BlueFrontOwner

Jul 29, 2013
Just would like to hear your thoughts. I went out of the country for 4 months and my female blue front amazon went from eating table food daily to almost none at all. She had her seed diet with Drs. Foster and Smith Signature Series® Premium Blend with Omega-3s for Parrots. And maybe some of those seed nuggets. What ever my father decided to buy for her.
Bird Diets: Drs. Foster and Smith Premium Blend Parrot Food with Omega-3s

I weighted her before I left at 17.7oz and when I got back 4 months later she weighed 14.5oz.

First question is this a big deal? Now that I'm home she will eat more tablefood as she craves it and knows I am the one she will get it from. She will also have her bird food.

Should I give her less or smaller portions of table food?

Was 17.7oz too heavy, or is 14.5oz too light?

Welcome to the forum. I don't recall meeting you before. We normally use grams to weigh our birds. If his weight loss isn't due to healthn issues then your feeding table food might a bit too much fat/carbs. It's hard to say what is a healthy weight with out your bfa in hand. Some one with some experience needs to feel his keel/breast area. Also the different subspecies are different sizes so it's hard for us to say what weight is good. You need to get him off the seeds, imo. Lots of questions. How old, activity level, what subspecies, gender, etc. Of course is he healthy or sick. You need a good A V to be sure.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back