My 10 months Hyacinth Macaw just had a crop surgery with over 9 stitches, She is not feeding after 48 hours later, What should I do?

moemania

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
Blue and Gold macaw
MODERATOR EDIT: "Spoiler" added to graphic image to enable members to choose before viewing.

Hello Anyone who could read this message and may offer help.

My Macaw had a traumatic accident last Saturday night October 19th 2024. She was on a harness and flew while she was on airborne the harness elastic slung her back to the ground where she landed chest first which led to a busted crop. I called the Dr. and he came and preformed surgery on my bird. After 45 mins of surgery, She went to sleep with no dinner.

The following 2 days (Sunday and Monday of October 20th and 21st ) she ate perfectly ( She still eats from a syringe ). Then I took her to the vet for a check up and the Veterinary said we must introduce antibiotics. Last night I gave her antibiotics and she refused to take it ( Through a syringe ) she would throw it out. After that, She would not eat from the syringe and hasn't been eating all day.

Thank God, she is active and playful but without food in the past 24 hours.

I used to feed her 250-260 ML a day (before the traumatic event)

Two days after the surgery she fed about 150 - 160 ML a day ( 15-20 ML every hour)

Then on the third day I am struggling to feed her 10 ML (Yes 10 ML) a day.

I gave her grapes and mangos yet still she would not eat them.

I'm starting to get worried about what I should do to keep her safe and alive

SO please if anyone knows how to treat her or a method to use or what should I do next I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all for reading and your concern.

I have attached a couple of pictures before the surgery.

Attachments

• 766003DF-B5D8-477C-8D08-CD04AD51799F.JPG
    766003DF-B5D8-477C-8D08-CD04AD51799F.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow so so sorry you are all are going thru this nightmare.

Sending prayers and hope that someone has some good ideas.

MODERATOR EDIT: "Spoiler" added to graphic image to enable members to choose before viewing.

Hello Anyone who could read this message and may offer help.

My Macaw had a traumatic accident last Saturday night October 19th 2024. She was on a harness and flew while she was on airborne the harness elastic slung her back to the ground where she landed chest first which led to a busted crop. I called the Dr. and he came and preformed surgery on my bird. After 45 mins of surgery, She went to sleep with no dinner.

The following 2 days (Sunday and Monday of October 20th and 21st ) she ate perfectly ( She still eats from a syringe ). Then I took her to the vet for a check up and the Veterinary said we must introduce antibiotics. Last night I gave her antibiotics and she refused to take it ( Through a syringe ) she would throw it out. After that, She would not eat from the syringe and hasn't been eating all day.

Thank God, she is active and playful but without food in the past 24 hours.

I used to feed her 250-260 ML a day (before the traumatic event)

Two days after the surgery she fed about 150 - 160 ML a day ( 15-20 ML every hour)

Then on the third day I am struggling to feed her 10 ML (Yes 10 ML) a day.

I gave her grapes and mangos yet still she would not eat them.

I'm starting to get worried about what I should do to keep her safe and alive

SO please if anyone knows how to treat her or a method to use or what should I do next I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all for reading and your concern.

I have attached a couple of pictures before the surgery.

My thought would be that there is some pain or discomfort that may be preventing your Hy from wanting to eat, so your vet may need to prescribe her some pain relief. Either that or they may be an infection brewing - hopefully I am wrong about that!! 🙏 🙏 🙏 But my recommendation would be to contact your vet either way, and I too am hoping your girl will be ok!!

Most Reactions

Back