Moving forward with Gus

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Ok so I found out his name is " Big Bird" That will explain why he always saying it. So guess I need to do something about that LOL

Also be kind :21: I am new at all this and probly a lot slower at moving forward than a lot of you

Big Bird is doing great. Eating like a little pig. Will not eat chop . Serious he just pushes it out of his bowl. If I cut up veggies or fruit into big enough sections he can hold in his talon he goes to town on anything .

I have had him 2 and 1/2 weeks now. We had out of state company one of the weekends. Big Bird ( FYI I still slip and call him Gus LOL ) did great he will let anyone approach the cage and feed him. I've not seen him snap like he wanted to bite. Just takes what they offer.

Bath time is getting better. I read somewhere on the forum here to put HOT water in the spray bottle and when it comes down in a mist it will be warm. Worked like a charm. He will sit on the side of the cage and just make a clicking sound while I spray him . First bath he had major attitude and would not talk or look at me for a couple hours

He is doing great at Touch training. He will do ANYTHING for a peanut. He will follow the little stick around and touch and run back for a treat. He is talking up a storm. So many words. Strings some together but I can't quite understand them . Wish I could so I could help him .

Ok I plan to open the cage this weekend . Reason I have not up until now is I read like a crazy person all about Macaw. I am sure some of what I have read I should just ignore . I did not want to make any mistake . I know Birdman You told me to take a towel and put in my lap. That is the action I plan to take this Saturday.

Now the part that really really annoyed me. I had been reading a lot of sites.

I was told in a site that I should be keeping Gus in a 30.x30 room . In fact i was made to feel a little bad that I have not. Also have been told not to place my hand in the cage and ask him to step up but to just let him out about a hour before dark and let him go where he wants. That I need 4 large tree stands for him . After letting him out I need to re-enter the room just after dark with a low beam flash like make sure he is in the cage and lock the door. Oh and I need to place a pie dish at the bottom of the cage and just toss food in there before locking it up for the night.

I was also told the only time I should be feeding him egg is during breading season. Sorry but Gus LOVES a hard boiled egg on the weekend. He will hold it Take the shell off and just enjoy

It goes without saying . I am leaving other sites and Gus will be leaving the cage this weekend. I love that little guy. He is finally telling me Good morning when I walk in the room in the morning. Oh and if he does not want to eat something I give him. He will take it drop it and say hahahaha The little brat LOL

I have looked for the plastic chain that was mentioned in another thread at Lowes but have not found any yet. Also I called a Avian. They suggested if I am not having issues to give it another week or two for a health check. Its a hour and half ride from where I live . There is a local vet that can trim talon and wing but they also stated I should give it time and the more secure Gus is the better he will handle the stress of a check up.

I am sure I forgot something . I am just still so amazed. Oh and I have no trouble touching him anywhere except his tail feather That now looks about 2 foot long . I can hold his beak . He is simply amazing.

Java wood is expensive :mad:

He is talking up a storm. So many words. Strings some together but I can't quite understand them . Wish I could so I could help him.

HE'S PRACTICING... HE'S LEARNING NEW WORDS AND HASN'T GOT THEM DOWN YET. WHEN HE'S READY, HE'LL SPRING THEM ON YOU...

Ok I plan to open the cage this weekend . Reason I have not up until now is I read like a crazy person all about Macaw. I am sure some of what I have read I should just ignore . I did not want to make any mistake . I know Birdman You told me to take a towel and put in my lap. That is the action I plan to take this Saturday.

Now the part that really really annoyed me. I had been reading a lot of sites.

I was told in a site that I should be keeping Gus in a 30.x30 room . In fact i was made to feel a little bad that I have not.

I DON'T GET THAT ONE? DO YOU MEAN 40x30 MACAW CAGE? THAT'S THE STANDARD SIZE BIG MAC CAGE.

Also have been told not to place my hand in the cage and ask him to step up but to just let him out about a hour before dark and let him go where he wants.

THAT'S EXTREMELY CRAPPY ADVICE IN MY OPINION...

That I need 4 large tree stands for him.

ALSO CRAPPY ADVICE. MAGGIE HAS ONE. I HAVE MULTIPLE PLAYSTANDS ONLY BECAUSE I HAVE MULTIPLE BIRDS...

After letting him out I need to re-enter the room just after dark with a low beam flash like make sure he is in the cage and lock the door.

THEY LEFT OUT THE PART ABOUT HOPPING IN A CIRCLE 3 TIMES WHILE QUACKING LIKE A DUCK BEFORE CLOSING THE DOOR. (THAT'S IMPORTANT! OH, AND BE SURE AND VIDEOTAPE THAT ONE AND PUT IN ON U-TUBE! NONSENSE!)

Oh and I need to place a pie dish at the bottom of the cage and just toss food in there before locking it up for the night.

AND THE FOOD BOWLS WOULD BE FOR WHAT EXACTLY?! THE STUFF ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CAGE GETS POOPED ON. THEN HE EATS STUFF FROM CONTAMINATED FOOD. THEN HE GETS A CROP INFECTION. THEN YOU HAVE TO GIVE A LARGE, UNHAPPY PARROT MEDICINE HE DOESN'T WANT TO TAKE!!! NOT TO MENTION THE LARGE VET BILL(S)... UUMMM... GENOUS!!!

I was also told the only time I should be feeding him egg is during breading season. Sorry but Gus LOVES a hard boiled egg on the weekend. He will hold it Take the shell off and just enjoy

NO! DURING BREEDING SEASON YOU CAN GIVE THEM SCRAMBLED EGG WITH THE SHELL SO THAT THE FEMALE BIRDS WHO ARE LAYING EGGS GET EXTRA CALCIUM. EGGS ARE GOOD FOR THEM. IF HE EATS IT, GIVE IT TO HIM. ALSO CRAP!

It goes without saying . I am leaving other sites and Gus will be leaving the cage this weekend. I love that little guy. He is finally telling me Good morning when I walk in the room in the morning.

THE MORE YOU INTERACT WITH THEM, THE MORE INTERACTIVE THEY GET...

Oh and if he does not want to eat something I give him. He will take it drop it and say hahahaha The little brat LOL

TYPICAL MACAW BEHAVIOR

I have looked for the plastic chain that was mentioned in another thread at Lowes but have not found any yet. Also I called a Avian. They suggested if I am not having issues to give it another week or two for a health check. Its a hour and half ride from where I live . There is a local vet that can trim talon and wing but they also stated I should give it time and the more secure Gus is the better he will handle the stress of a check up.

A GOOD VET WON'T STRESS THEM, AND MOST MACAWS LIKE CAR RIDES.

I am sure I forgot something . I am just still so amazed. Oh and I have no trouble touching him anywhere except his tail feather That now looks about 2 foot long .

TWO PERCH TOUCHING EXERCISES WITH THE TAIL UNTIL HE ALLOWS IT, AND THEN PREEN IT FOR HIM. THEY CAN AND DO GET VERY DEFENSIVE ABOUT THEIR TAILS, AND THAT IS ONE WAY PEOPLE DO GET BIT...

I can hold his beak . He is simply amazing.

Java wood is expensive :mad:

THAT'S ONE OF THE FEW THINGS I AGREE WITH...

Last edited:
No they told me a 30 x 30 foot room dedicated to Gus

Yeah I touch his tail some but that quick head jerk of his I know to back off.

Birdman one thing I like about you........... You do not mince words

@Jersey: I sent mail to henpecked. Thanks for that information . great site

No they told me a 30 x 30 foot room dedicated to Gus

YOU CAN BUILD HIM AN ALTER AND A SHRINE IN IT TOO... WORSHIP THE SACRED TAILFEATHERS! Bird rooms are nice. I have one, but I also have five- make that six temporarily - birds. Most birds like to be out where they can see you...

Yeah I touch his tail some but that quick head jerk of his I know to back off.

THAT HAPPENS WITH A LOT OF MACAWS. YOU WANT TO BREAK HIM OF THAT HABIT. LET ME TELL YOU WHY IT'S IMPORTANT: I DID A RESCUE ABOUT 8-9 YEARS AGO... WHERE THE GUY HAD THE BIRD ON HIS SHOULDER, AND SOMEONE WALKED BY AND BUMPED INTO THE TAIL FEATHERS, AND THE BIRD TURNED AND BIT THE CRAP OUT OF THE CLOSEST THING...

DID I MENTION THE BIRD WAS SITTING ON THE GUY'S SHOULDER AT THE TIME?! YEAH... BAD FACIAL BITE! PLASTIC SURGERY TIME...

(Lesson 2: If your bird displacement bites, he is not a shoulder bird. He is an arm bird! Don't be THAT guy!)

BEFORE TOUCHING THE TAIL, TWO FINGERS ON THE BEAK, AND HOLD ONTO IT. THEN GENTLY PREEN THE TAIL FOR HIM... THEN LET GO OF THE BEAK WHEN YOUR HAND IS SAFE AGAIN.

THE TWO PERCH METHOD ALSO WORKS IF HE GETS AGGRESSIVE WITH TAIL TOUCHING. GET LIKE TWO OF THOSE WOODEN BBQ SQUEWERS AND PLAY WITH HIM WITH THAT, AND USE THEM TO TOUCH THE TAIL. GRADUALLY GET HIM USED TO HIS TAIL BEING TOUCHED.

IT TOOK ME TWO WEEKS WITH THAT RESCUE... AND IT WOULD HAVE SAVED THE GUY FROM A SERIOUS INJURY!!!

Birdman one thing I like about you........... You do not mince words.

Great thanks. I was going to ask about the two perch .
I use the squewers for the touch . I do not used a clicker . Not sure I want to .

Treat for that has been a peanut or just a small taste of peanut butter. He started out just totally destroying it . I would walk away . No treat no attention.

Well first of all, this is an outside the cage on your lap kind of thing.

I tried clicker training with my Ruby macaw. She snatched it out of my hand, ran around playing keep away with it, while clicking it with her beak just to taunt me! Then when she finally got bored with that little game, and I got close, she chomped down hard... no more clicker training for me.

Second, if he allows touching everywhere else, and allows you to hold his beak, then hold his beak, and preen the tail until he gets used to it... doesn't sound like he needs the two perch thing. That's generally for birds that aren't tame.

Last edited:
Birdman...the clicker is for YOU to use! LOL :D

Loved the advice (and the humor even more)

And as far as vocabulary goes, Simba will practice when nobody is around. I'll hear him when I'm in another room. And that's when we find out what all he can say. He doesn't say everything in front of us. Fortunately, he doesn't cuss. :)

Last edited:
Oh I know what I wanted to ask LOL> In another thread it was asked did the fid mimic a woman or man voice. Will they do that ?

Oh I know what I wanted to ask LOL> In another thread it was asked did the fid mimic a woman or man voice. Will they do that ?

They will do more than one...

In fact, Tusk does my voice so well, that he yelled at Sarah, and she came running thinking it was me!

He does other voices with Sarah's inflection.

He also does all the other birds, and their noises, so well, that you can't tell who did it...

If they hear it, they might pick it up.

Then they repeat it at inopportune moments, and you're busted!

Birdman...the clicker is for YOU to use! LOL :D

The Ruby was a biter, and she was rather insistent on getting ahold of it!

Clicker or my thumb. Actually, it wasn't a hard choice.

Never was that good with clicker training anyway...

He doesn't say everything in front of us. Fortunately, he doesn't cuss. :)

YET...

THAT YOU KNOW OF...

INVITE THE PASTOR OF YOUR CHURCH OVER FOR DINNER SOMETIME IF YOU WANT TO FIND OUT FOR SURE!

Did your bird just call me an a$$hole?!

Why, yes he did Father... that's why we asked you over here. The bird is possessed. We were hoping you could perform an exorcism! :D

Almonds are joy joy joy food for him. Bought some Friday and he ate one and hung upside down just whistling . I found his joy food LOL

Boyfriend lowered the window blind behind the cage. It slipped a little and spooked Big Bird. ( Dont' like that name lol ) anyway Big Bird jumped looked at him and said Stop that ..... In a soft whisper.

I gave up on the touch training. He took the stick from me and started touching me with it then looked at the treat container. Silly bird should be his name

I can reach all around his cage cleaning he would taste my arm or hand with his tongue grab my arm with his talons ,but still does not appear ready to leave the cage yet. Its funny first I was not secure enough to take him out now he is not . I was more worried he would fly and hurt himself . Oh well its been just a few weeks.

Oh and bath time. He loves them now. Just looks up eyes closed and makes a clicking sound then jumps all around flapping his wing and getting me wet LOL while saying hahaha

Macaws are goofy by nature.

Have you tried just opening up the cage, sitting down on the floor in front of it with a blanket or big towel on your lap, and maybe some treats and toys? And maybe the mister? See if he will come to you?

I tried that. He came out of the cage went up for awhile and played. Stayed out a long time . I was not the floor but sat on a chair close. I did not want to push him. He is really getting so sweet. Strange bugger started licking my fingers yesterday. Taste good to him LOL

I tried that. He came out of the cage went up for awhile and played. Stayed out a long time . I was not the floor but sat on a chair close. I did not want to push him. He is really getting so sweet. Strange bugger started licking my fingers yesterday. Taste good to him LOL

It's entirely normal. They put their tongues on everything.

It's entirely normal. They put their tongues on everything.

If I could keep Zoe's tongue out of my ears I'd be a happy camper. I told her she a weirdo, but she doesn't seem to care.

So far his eating is great. Taste tested apples , banana , grapes , brown rice, green beans , every type of pepper known to man he will eat a carrot stick in the evening if hungry while i feed the dogs and fix his bowl he had corn last night. OMG that was a mess but loved it.

Snacks treats I have been using banana chips, peanuts, almonds and peanuts in the shell. Popcorn ONLY for treats so not often.

I did get two full samples of Roudybush Pellets med and large . He has had a few of these and seems to like them I was just not sure how much he should get. I did read if they get fresh fruit and veggies you did not have to give them a lot of pellets .

Seed is another issue :( guess he was on them so long he said to hell with it I am not eating anything but the corn and sunflower out of it. Would it be ok if I just buy the unsalted sunflower and mix it with corn to leave in his dish during the day while I am at work ?

The evil bird has taken over my sweet macaw. I went home Friday and he was so irritated. No hissing but have about 5 bites on arm and hands. He is molting so that is one cause of irritation. I called the vet and he said with the new diet and new location it may take awhile. ( I am the 3rd home in less than 6 months )
If I did not know better I would have thought I was speaking with Bridman He told me to let him settle back down for a few days keep him misted to help with the molt and then Take a towel wrap him up holding him from behind so as not to restrict his breathing and hold him fully covered. when he stops fighting scratch his beak Keep uncovering. If he tries to bit wrap him up again
I did try the sitting on floor with a blanket over my lap and I had a treat for him. He ran .. serious he ran down and out the cage to me. Bit the crap out of my arm and back in the cage LOL It happened so fast I did not even react.
I so love this bird. Such spunk . Serious he has to be a fighter to put up with what he has in the past.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back