Molting?

leo1955

Mar 20, 2013
Media
At what age on the average does an IRN experience the first molt? I notice this morning when I got up that there are a few feathers ( about 4) at the bottom of Rich's cage. I dont normally see feathers fall down from her and I am thinking if it is a sign that she will have her first molt. From my estimate and based from where I acquired her (2nd owner) she is now about 5-6 months. If ever she is indeed molting for the first time, what are the things you people in the know, can advise me, so it will not irritate Rich? Thank you in advance.

If she lets you preen her head feathers, gently rub/roll the new feather sheaths in your fingers so they fall away, being careful not to push the feather down or sideways or she'll quickly get your attention back on the job at hand.....

In the wild or even with another bird around...doesn't have to be a mate, birds will normally help each other out with head/neck preens.....if Rich enjoys baths, many birds like to take extra ones during moulting...helps with feather sheath removal & the itchiness moulting creates.....

Most Reactions

Back