Molt questions

Stephable

Jan 20, 2018
Australia
Parrots
Budgie
Green Cheek Conure
Hey everyone!

my GCC Momo is molting at the moment and I just wanted to make sure everything's going how it's meant to! I'm not 100% of their age but I'm pretty sure Momo is under 1 and this is their first molt.

I've heard that not all their feathers molt in a regular molt but way more do in their 1st molt. Momo has grown in 3-4 primary flight feathers on each side that were previously clipped (before I got them) and all of their tail feathers! I'm not sure if I'm right on this though so any info would be awesome!

Also Momo seems to have been molting for 3+ months already, is that normal?

thank you for any help!!

Wellllllllllllll... the Rb does a soft moult (contour feathers) around December to January. Then he does a big moult (tail, wings, contours, the works) from about July to early September.
If it went on much longer than that, I'd ask our vet for an exam, etc.
I can't recall much about his early/juvenile moults... I didn't know enough to know what I didn't know! :)

Captive birds tend to molt a lot more frequently than their wild counterparts. A 3 month molt (especially a first time one) is certainly not unusual. Be sure to offer lots of showers or baths during this time. I'm so happy to hear you are allowing his flight feathers to grow in! Happy times for you and Momo (gorgeous name)!

Most Reactions

Back