Making friends with a Senegal

Yep, Monica, she has decided to trust me now and I actually don't think it took that long. A month maybe? I forget how long I've had her, but the woman who has the rescue thought she was hopeless - thought she could not overcome her fearfulness - thought she would have to go to an aviary with other Senegals. I don't necessarily think spending her life in an aviary with other sennies is a bad fate, but she's not hopeless as a pet at all. She's a sweet girl who has learned that I won't hurt her or force her to do something she doesn't want to do.

I wouldn't consider it long, either. :)

Most people expect instant results... say within 1-2 weeks, and get disappointed if the bird doesn't start stepping up within a months time.

It's just really about giving them time to settle in and get comfortable with their new surroundings and teaching them that humans are ok again!

I really do think birds can see color - my Senegal does good with carrots, peppers, apples, etc. and other bright colored veggies/fruit in addition to what was mentioned here. I agree with what another poster said - little bird, large attitude! She charges and attacks our toy terrier dog sometimes! Don't run - stay firm and she/he will respect you more!

I really do think birds can see color - my Senegal does good with carrots, peppers, apples, etc. and other bright colored veggies/fruit in addition to what was mentioned here.

Birds can see more colors than we do! :) In comparison, I feel impaired.... their world through their eyes must be so vibrant and colorful!

Hi cindy i too have a sennie, zuzu, whom my wife bought for me although those to have bonded quite well he responds and talks to her, does anything she wishes or wants. now me he's my buddy, theres times where he'll try to bite and at first he hated me, wanted nothing to do with me, but once you show them who's boss without hitting, tapping or yelling, just tell em no, let them do their bite if it starts to hurt push into them, throws em off balance and they gotta reposition their body, balance and beak after awhile he/she won't do it as badly or often. And they love peanuts as a treat, UNSALTED with the shell.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back