Macaw diet Q's, Adding Milk Thistle and dry Nettle?

Bubba27

Dec 18, 2020
Bubba is a 38 yr old greenwing that I have had since he was 4 months old. Vet says he is in good health but 5 yrs ago he showed feather color changes when he wasn't getting proper diet. I immediately switched him to home made Chop, quality seeds and roudybush Maintenance.
He showed improvement right away and continues to improve. ( new feathers replacing old come in proper color ). Very Active, a lover and has the run of the house when I'm home, which is a lot.

I want to add Milk Thistle and dry Nettle to his diet for liver health probably mixing in his egg or oatmeal which he will eat right up first thing in the am before I give him his chop. I usually give him his nuts and pellets in afternoon.
Any Opinions or advice on using this , recommended amounts? :)
I plan on Mixing into a
cup of cooked oatmeal and breaking off a 3/32 thick piece the size of a silver dollar for daily feed.
Was looking at equa holistic

Avian Milk Thistle + Dandelion Root Dietary Supplement for Parrots​

Haven't found a nettle leaf yet.

He gets the below daily
His Chop mix

black beans,
Red beans
White beans
Pinto
Chili beans
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Zucchini
Brussel sprouts
Yellow squash
Carrots
Jalapeno,
Red, Green & Yellow bell peppers
Kale
Spinach
Cabbage
Quinoa
Brown rice
Farro
Whole grain pasta spirals

He also gets a silver dollar size piece
Frozen scrambled egg
Frozen cooked oatmeal

Nuts
4 almonds and the same equivalent of
Pistachio
Walnuts
pumpkin seed

Fruits mix that changes daily
Blueberry
raspberry
Banana
apple
grapes
Mandarin orange

Spoon full of Mix
Dry out of the box- Steel cut Oats
Chia seeds
Whole flax seeds
Hemp hearts

occasional Treats maybe 1 a day
small piece of salmon cooked
1 sardine
cheese
Chicken leg bone

Wow, he eats better then I do! Can I move in? I dont scream much and I always poop on the papers!

Kidding of course. Generally I recommend adding vitamins or supplements only when the Avain Vet says there is a need. You Mac sound like he gets a great diet, if the above is really what he gets. Me. I'd drop the brown rice, excessive nuts and the mandarin orange, parrots dont handle citric aid well.

opps,
I see my response didn't take months ago.
Thanks for the advice.
Yep that's what my 38 yr old boy gets.
I have since cut the nuts and brown rice in half,
bumped up the Quinoa, farro, barley a little and only occasionally give the citrus.
Planing on the next batch to do 1/2 multigrain pasta and 1/2 protein pasta

Thanks again

Can I move in with you? You have a nice diet! The only thing I personally would do differently is change the rowdy bush and fruit sparingly. My macaws feathers do better with Tops pellets. I hold off giving fruit only for treats while training. It gives me some leverage, lol. :)

Most Reactions

Back