Leg band removal- illegal??

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
So today we were calling around different vets to have Pascal's closed leg band removed. It's started to wear on his leg and though he doesn't seem bothered, and he's had it his whole life, I'd feel better if it was gone.

The first vet we called said they wouldn't do it because it's illegal.. Umm.. I've never heard that. I know the laws are different everywhere but Texas doesn't require birds to be banded(except for in pet stores and such). So that blew my mind.

Regardless we found a vet about an hour away that will do it, so we'll be trying to get him in this evening. But I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this? It confused us for sure. :/

I haven't heard of anything like that here in Canada... generally they ask you if you'd like to remove it for safety reasons. I could see that it's illegal for some species as they required documentation or if they happened to be illegal in one state but not another, but if the leg band is becoming a health issue then a vet should instead suggest the removal of the band and the insertion of a microchip.... or that's what I think at least.

I think that used to be the case when birds were primarily wild-caught and the leg bands were put on in quarantine and proved the bird was imported legally. I don't think that applies anymore.

I may be wrong, but I think there was a member looking for a leg band for the bird he had just taken in. He discovered it was illegal to own in the state he lived with out a band.
So maybe it varies state to state and from species to species.

I have only one of my 4 birds with a leg band! I never heard of anything like that! :D Maybe it is the same nonsense like you cannot legally propagate some roses and other plants. Who on earth can control that? I propagate anything in my garden that I need to and never even think about that. :)

Yeah I know it was probably a requirement everywhere, back when importing was where the majority of parrots came from, and it still is in some states and for some birds (some states Quakers are illegal, you have to have a license for a golden conure, etc) but hearing this in Texas, in 2014 totally shocked me.
But I've checked everything and I plan to have it removed tomorrow so oh well.

I think somebody was just REALLY behind on the times.. Hah.

I may be wrong, but I think there was a member looking for a leg band for the bird he had just taken in. He discovered it was illegal to own in the state he lived with out a band.

I think your thinking of the member that was looking for a open band to put on the bird due to moving to Hawaii. Just found it....http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/43983-help-need-leg-band.html

Crossing certain states, they do require for the birds to be banded. But if that happens, just get the open leg band for the time being and remove it once within the state. That's what I would do anyways.....

I've had leg bands removed before when they are causing health issues.

Even import bands, Lila's 40 year old import band was cutting into her leg, so my vet cut it off.

Problem is it makes it difficult to prove anything later on, but my vet has a record of it.

I am dependent on that for proof of legal ownership, and even then, how do I prove that is my bird in the event of theft?

I am dependent on that for proof of legal ownership, and even then, how do I prove that is my bird in the event of theft?

Isn't that what a microchip and vet records are for? Much harder to remove one of those than it is a leg band.

My moms wild caught DYH got a leg band in quarantine, and once my mom got her home, she cut it off. She still has it too, 40 years since she bought Lucy. There has never been a single situation the legality or ownership of any of her 3 birds (2 captive bred, and the 1 wild caught all of similar age) has come into question.

Isn't that what a microchip and vet records are for? Much harder to remove one of those than it is a leg band.

My moms wild caught DYH got a leg band in quarantine, and once my mom got her home, she cut it off. She still has it too, 40 years since she bought Lucy. There has never been a single situation the legality or ownership of any of her 3 birds (2 captive bred, and the 1 wild caught all of similar age) has come into question.

There rarely is unless the bird gets lost, or there is a theft situation.

Or if you have to document legal importation for some AR Beaurocratic Process. Most states aren't that AR, but one or two of them are.

I drove across California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas. None of them ever inquired about my birds. (Fruits and vegetables, yes.)

We just got back from having his band removed. He did really well. :)
He's such a baby haha. Brad had his hand in the travel cage while we were in the waiting room so Pascal could sit on him, otherwise he was pacing/chewing.

The vet did really well with him and was much more knowledgable than the guy who saw Kiwi here in my town, so that made me happy. Pascal didn't fuss too much and didn't try to bite through the towel or after it was over, just scrambled to the nearest shoulder! Haha.

We let him out of his travel cage on the way back since he doesn't like it much, and I wanted to end his trip on a positive note, so he sat on Brad :) he loves car rides on his shoulder.

He's taking a well deserved nap now, after lots of scratches an praise of course!

I did manage to take a picture on the way back. Brad isn't very photo-friendly, but pascal doesn't mind one bit! Hehe.

I think your thinking of the member that was looking for a open band to put on the bird due to moving to Hawaii. Just found it....http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/43983-help-need-leg-band.html

Crossing certain states, they do require for the birds to be banded. But if that happens, just get the open leg band for the time being and remove it once within the state. That's what I would do anyways.....

I went back and found it

http://www.parrotforums.com/quakers/36522-just-realized-my-quaker-illegal.html

Glad you were able to get the band removed!

When I got the ARN to look after, I was told that the vets wont remove the leg band. My avian vet will, however her practice wont be open until next week! (Finally have an open date! Wahoo!)

I have no clue how old the ARN is (leg band doesn't have a date on it), so I don't know how long she's had her band for. I've had her for a little over two weeks now, and I plan to get it removed by next week. Hate waiting!

IMG_7374-2_zpsfa556f22.jpg

Glad to hear you got a date on when you can get it removed, Monica!!
Yeah Pascal's was a closed band so he's had his for his whole life. (6~ years.) and isn't able to clamp it shut himself like on your ARN, so not *as* worrisome.
He never chews on it and it was only slightly rubbing his leg, but I'd feel awful if he got hurt on it somehow just because I didn't feel a $15 vet trip was necessary. But now I don't have to worry about it. :)

Me too!

The ARN (I think she may be referred to as Sylphie?) has rubbed the paint off in areas. I was able to read the numbers on her band (just an ID number) but not the letters. When I went to pick her up, she was constantly chewing at her band. I haven't seen her chew on it since then.

Definitely doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution! :)

In the case of theft, I know the avian biotec can keep records of the blood sample if you pay them for it so you'll have records of their DNA so if you really think the bird is yours, you can always have a blood test done to prove it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back