Large Parrot Photo Thread

Glad to see you here! :love: What's your baby's name?

(PS to post, go to the bottom of the screen, to the box that says 'write your reply', and type in there!)

can't wait to see all the big cuties
This is Smokey, my new (to me) 8 month old Grey. He is getting to know me still. I have had him less than a week.
5B01559C-9ECC-4B38-B5EB-9B33C54F0984.jpeg
1FE8F925-EB86-4E42-9B0B-9E442620BD0E.jpeg

Attachments

• 684B1DBC-A8EF-4AFE-BA6C-9A225423E6C5.jpeg
    684B1DBC-A8EF-4AFE-BA6C-9A225423E6C5.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 2D84B87A-6641-434B-B57E-C5D946624219.jpeg
    2D84B87A-6641-434B-B57E-C5D946624219.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 83
  • 3F253924-FE07-4ECD-84CE-BDD62AA7DAC5.jpeg
    3F253924-FE07-4ECD-84CE-BDD62AA7DAC5.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 82
  • B736AD1D-26FD-49EA-A38D-90BC6AA31B2E.jpeg
    B736AD1D-26FD-49EA-A38D-90BC6AA31B2E.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 85
This is Smokey, my new (to me) 8 month old Grey. He is getting to know me still. I have had him less than a week. View attachment 35357View attachment 35358
Looks great, but you might want to remove the cuddle hut. Birds have chewed it then strangled themselves in it. Supervise the boing (rope spiral), if he swallows it, it can cause impaction. A good solution id to get a sisal boing.

A short article on cuddle huts:

And one on the dangers of fabric:

I don't want to worry you too much, I know this can be a lot to take in. Please feel free to ask any questions on this forum.

Thank you, I wasn’t sure where to post. He’s name is Smokey. I am new to this group. Thank you all for welcoming me and explaining where to post the photos 🦜✌🏼❀️🦜
You're very welcome, we're glad to have you here!

Ok - I got a chickenπŸ” legged Alexandrine and he hates feathers I think he wants fur!!! LOL StanLee is a rescue- who came to me almost naked- He starts to get nice feathers and a few days later he plucks them until he is only skin and beak... :cry: I have3 tried everything! Special diet- Extra vitamins- Feather spray- Begging him! and Prayers. Oh and he refuses to take a bath! I spray him - well above him to make a shower and he runs! I tried the bathtub and the kitchen sink. Im thinking about a collar- Anyone ever heard of them?? kinda like the collar of shame they put on dogs except they are made for birds...I am attaching a picture of one- I saw the hard plastic ones but they scare me! they look painful and mean.
b4d89b5873ec80556aaac84769060a9d.jpg
20220115_161509.jpg
20220114_162531A.jpg

Last edited:
Ok - I got a chickenπŸ” legged Alexandrine and he hates feathers I think he wants fur!!! LOL StanLee is a rescue- who came to me almost naked- He starts to get nice feathers and a few days later he plucks them until he is only skin and beak... :cry: I have3 tried everything! Special diet- Extra vitamins- Feather spray- Begging him! and Prayers. Oh and he refuses to take a bath! I spray him - well above him to make a shower and he runs! I tried the bathtub and the kitchen sink. Im thinking about a collar- Anyone ever heard of them?? kinda like the collar of shame they put on dogs except they are made for birds...I am attaching a picture of one- I saw the hard plastic ones but they scare me! they look painful and mean.View attachment 35342View attachment 35341View attachment 35369

Welcome to the ever increasing family of Pluckers!
Once the action becomes behavioral there is no honest method of Stopping the Plunking, unless they choose!!

Our stately Double Yellow-Headed Amazon (24 later this year) started Plunking his rump after rump surgery and like a kid with a scab, he never stopped.

If your have a Trusted Avian Medical Professional you can try what we are doing! It is a monthly visit to our Avian Professional to have a 'tiny' bit of his upper and lower beak dulled, a very little trimmed to keep the very points to a minimum! This is just the tiniest bit of the point is dulled!!

WARNING:
1: There are idiots out there that will remove too much and that can cause other serious problems.
2: It is a costly undertaking as it is a monthly visit to your Avian Medical Professional.
3: You will want to obtain two Vet Supplied Creams that you will use. I will get you their names as I am at the cottage and the creams are at home. One is a medication base that is used if you have an open wound /bleeding and the other is more used on an area that your Parrot has been a bit too busy with.

IMHO the cloth ones are much better for parrots then the hard plastic as they do not wear at the neck feathers!!

Again Welcome to the family!

Last edited:
Thanks- I want him to get a few feathers he just started plucking big feathers today and I almost cried! So I think I will invest in the cloth one- thanks so much and maybe we should start a company of cute clothing for pluckers! LOL I am just kidding of course!!

Awww Stanlee!
I would love a dream fix for pluckers. But I agree with Sailboat. Once well established, its just about impossible to stop. In real life I have never known a plucker to stop. Myself and many more experienced members with pluckers have tried everything, and have to accept this . I had a long discussions with my avian vet and asked her what success she has seen in her career, she said 1% on behavioral. Unless you can stop in the over preening and barbering stage then you have 50% chance. ( why I put so much effort in an earlier thread on likely feather overpreening)

So we love accept Stanlee as he is. But if you find the magic cure we will be all ears!

The only success stories I've read that I might believe . Are parrots in parrot sanctuary rescues that are moved into very large outdoor Aviary with same species freinds.

Awww Stanlee!
I would love a dream fix for pluckers. But I agree with Sailboat. Once well established, its just about impossible to stop. In real life I have never known a plucker to stop. Myself and many more experienced members with pluckers have tried everything, and have to accept this . I had a long discussions with my avian vet and asked her what success she has seen in her career, she said 1% on behavioral. Unless you can stop in the over preening and barbering stage then you have 50% chance. ( why I put so much effort in an earlier thread on likely feather overpreening)

So we love accept Stanlee as he is. But if you find the magic cure we will be all ears!

The only success stories I've read that I might believe . Are parrots in parrot sanctuary rescues that are moved into very large outdoor Aviary with same species freinds.
I wouldnt bother trying except I just found out that his plucking only started about 6 months ago when he was taken in from animal control- He was taken from previous owner who slapped him to the ground amongst other abuses- fed him only people junk food. And he was put into a tiny cage and not fed every day but left for days without food. He began plucking then. Well he wouldn't let and still wont let a male near him- It's taken me a few weeks to get him to a loving sweet bird. SO- I am praying I can get him to stop or at least slow down. Can you believe he had no idea what a bath was? Terrified of water or spray ! Poor baby! I can only imagine the horror he lived with - BUT now as my friend says- He is living his Best life!
AND- if he is to be a baldie baby - then so be it, I LOVE him anyway!!!

Awesome that he had you! Hopefully all these postive wonderful life improvements do you give you the chance!
I love rescue stories ❀

Attachments

• 49F44C26-34B6-4F5D-B9BF-A38A35EE971E.jpeg
    49F44C26-34B6-4F5D-B9BF-A38A35EE971E.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 83
390A3761-04AF-4128-9663-ACF6B7585E6A.jpeg

The kirb birb, doing his war screams because my partner came into the office and she is Not Allowed!!

Looks great, but you might want to remove the cuddle hut. Birds have chewed it then strangled themselves in it. Supervise the boing (rope spiral), if he swallows it, it can cause impaction. A good solution id to get a sisal boing.

A short article on cuddle huts:

And one on the dangers of fabric:

I don't want to worry you too much, I know this can be a lot to take in. Please feel free to ask any questions on this forum.
Thank you very much. I need all the help I can get!

I have not been on (on probably won’t be on for a few days) my phone has been hacked by a guy that scammed me on a Grey a month ago. I turned him in on Facebook so now he has hacked my phone.

You would think taking my $1600 would be enough for him.

I’ll be back on when my phone is SAFE!

Peace and feathers πŸͺΆβœŒπŸΌ

Thank you very much. I need all the help I can get!

I have not been on (on probably won’t be on for a few days) my phone has been hacked by a guy that scammed me on a Grey a month ago. I turned him in on Facebook so now he has hacked my phone.

You would think taking my $1600 would be enough for him.

I’ll be back on when my phone is SAFE!

Peace and feathers πŸͺΆβœŒπŸΌ
I'm so sorry ❀️

Ok - I got a chickenπŸ” legged Alexandrine and he hates feathers I think he wants fur!!! LOL StanLee is a rescue- who came to me almost naked- He starts to get nice feathers and a few days later he plucks them until he is only skin and beak... :cry: I have3 tried everything! Special diet- Extra vitamins- Feather spray- Begging him! and Prayers. Oh and he refuses to take a bath! I spray him - well above him to make a shower and he runs! I tried the bathtub and the kitchen sink. Im thinking about a collar- Anyone ever heard of them?? kinda like the collar of shame they put on dogs except they are made for birds...I am attaching a picture of one- I saw the hard plastic ones but they scare me! they look painful and mean.View attachment 35342View attachment 35341View attachment 35369
A couple of members wanted a large burd thread, Alexandrine size and up!
Alexandrine & Amazon 🦜🦜

Attachments

• 6A3ACDE4-421D-445B-9D41-D312354143F1.jpeg
    6A3ACDE4-421D-445B-9D41-D312354143F1.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 83

Most Reactions

Back