Knowledge of Ringneck genetics

Caesar

Oct 26, 2013
Media
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone knows a website that explains the genetics of breeding mutation birds. I have a Violet blue Dom pied hen and two males. One lutino and the other olive/cinnamon.
I need some info in DUMMIE form as I find it quite confusing.

Any help would be fantastic.

I found these sites to be quite useful to get started

This one lists all the mutations and has pictures

This one is about basic genetics. It is on a site about budgies, but the basics are identical.

And this explains how mutations affect the physical structure of feathers to change the colour.

But most useful was this book I bought about parrot genetics. It's expensive, but everything makes so much more sense now. And gives a lot of clear information about combining different mutations, with charts etc. Which mutations are on the same loci and/or affect the same thing so cancel each other out.

A violet pied bird would be so pretty. Would love to see it.

Last edited:
This makes so much more sense now thankyou very much. I now realise my male is a cinnamon turquoise grey and that is a great site for me as I am only beginning.
I will try get a good pick of my violet blue pied She is from a Aviary and was with a heap of other IRN... so she is a little wild.

Last edited:
Your boy being a cinnamon turquoise grey makes the combos rather different. How did you work out that's what he was?

What pairings did you end up choosing?

Kimma.
I actually found out though one of the links you sent me:)
If you go to Psittaula Kameri site and scroll down to Cinnamon.The second pic on the bottom row is a complete copy of my male.
Is there a way to find out for certain?
Oh, I decided to pair him with my violet blue dom pied. Unless you have a suggestion?:)

I'm a complete novice, but that's what I'd have done too. The other 2 can just make lots of Latino babies together :)

I wrote a book on mutations

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1725315841401.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725315841401.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

Back