Jubilee macaw

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
Are there any owners of Jubilee macaws out there, who could share some pictures, videos, and first hand experience with owning this hybrid? I've always wanted a green wing but also love the blue and gold and so I feel like this hybrid is the perfect macaw for me! I fell in love with a jubilee macaw who's videos are on YouTube. It's colors are phenomenal!! When I search for jubilee macaws on google images, the birds in those pictures just don't compare. Maybe it's the lighting or angle? Can there really be that big of a difference in one breeder's birds?

I'd also love to get pics and stories from harlequin macaws since they are slightly more common than the jubilees.

Also, does anyone know any jubilee breeders? I've had a hard time finding one. I finally heard back from one breeder today who said he will have babies hatching in two months. However, he ships his babies at 8 weeks and says they have 8 weeks of hand feeding left with their new owners. This estimate seems fairly short for a bird that is essentially 75% greenwing, since I've read they often wean around 6 months. I feel up to the challenge but I know everyone generally advices against buying unweaned babies, so I'd like to take you all's advice if possible.

I can't wait to get my baby macaw one day! I know it'll be a few months but I can feel the magic creeping into the air! And I'm so glad I have a supportive community to share this experience with and get help along the way! :red1:

I had to Google Jubilee! So 2nd generation hybrid 3/4 Greenwing, 1/4 Blue and Gold. Beautiful :)

Take a look at this thread I posted a little while ago... It's pretty lengthy, but if you skim over some of the posts, you'll see why it's such a bad idea to have the new owner hand feed the bird unless you have enough experience doing it. Not just a little experience, but a lot! IMHO, a lot of it is laziness on the breeders part. It saves them money, and time, and work... They really need to finish the job FOR the customer. Good luck finding the perfect baby for you!

http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/42431-unweaned-babies-trend-these-days.html

I have experience hand feeding BUT....

All my babies came home to me WEANED but going from the breeders home to my home caused regression so I had to do some comfort feeding. I do know how to hand feed but I hand fed babies that were already weaned with a strong feeding response.

I know it would be different to hand feed a parrot that is NOT weaned and too young to eat normal foods. It would be a lot harder because the formula must be PERFECT temperature and consistency (example is runnier when baby is younger thicker as they get older), danger of crop stasis, danger of aspiration and a lot of other things that can go wrong very quickly.

Even when I hand fed weaned parrots I was always very careful about aspirating the parrot. That was my greatest fear. Macaws eat with a lot of gusto. It is almost violent like as I have had the syringe flung out of my hand from a real gusto feeding response.

I agree strongly if the buyer never had parrots and has never hand fed before the baby NEEDS to be weaned before they go home. Even after the weaned baby comes home weighing them everyday is important with making sure weight is stable and they do not loose too much weight due to transition.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back