Is my parrot moulting

TheGeneral

Aug 15, 2024
Parrots
Alexandrine parrot
IMG_5476.jpeg

So. He’s 8 months old ( Dread )and I’ve had him for just over a week. He’s shy but getting used to me and is tameish ( I can stroke him but picking up freaks him out still ). Ive noticed a few little white feathers around and thinking it’s either a moult or his stressed. I hope it’s the moult but if it is are there any extra vitamins I need to give him. He eats apple, corn on the cob and carrots ( I’ve tried lots of different things but these seem to be his favourite. A parrot mix of seeds and nuts. I’ve just started to give him nutribird p15 to replace the mixed seeds and nuts. He loves sunflower seeds but I’ve limited them. I put aviform avigold advance in his water every other day with the odd sprinkle of avimix on his fruit. Oooh. The shop clipped his wings ( which I was really annoyed about but I’d picked my friend at this point so wasn’t going to leave him ). Ive read his wings will regrow as he can still fly now to a certain degree but really want him to fly around so hoping his wings come back correctly if they do at all

Im really new to this so any advice on the above would be amazing. Even if it’s tips on what to give them as it’s been a mine field trying to get the correct info

Birds typically molt twice a year
First is during fall time. The drop the light summer feathers for a thicker winter feather.
Second is early spring. They now drop the thick winter feathers for the lighter summer ones.
Any molt you will lots of feathers, especially the small undercoat ones in the bottom of your cage. You will also notice around his face what we call pin feathers. The new feather come out in a sheath. They then pick the sheath off exposing the new feathers. But as they can pick thier own head it's normally the mate or flock mates that do this.
20220329_165343.jpg

If he trust you enough you can help with these. I would pinch off the tip, and roll the rest between my fingures and it would just fall apart.
Misting with a spray bottle will help alot during molting. The skin is real itchy and the moisture helps alot to give them some relief. Don't spray them directly, spray as a mist above them and let it fall down on them gently.
Yes clipped wing will be regrow during a molt. When I got my Sunny Phoenix he was clipped as well. They didn't want a baby bird flying around a bird store. During his first molt all the clipped feathers were replaced with new ones and he was off to the skies " in my apartment " again.
20190905_144155.jpg

Here you can see the clipped feathers.
20200206_122057.jpg

And his glorious return to flight

Birds typically molt twice a year
First is during fall time. The drop the light summer feathers for a thicker winter feather.
Second is early spring. They now drop the thick winter feathers for the lighter summer ones.
Any molt you will lots of feathers, especially the small undercoat ones in the bottom of your cage. You will also notice around his face what we call pin feathers. The new feather come out in a sheath. They then pick the sheath off exposing the new feathers. But as they can pick thier own head it's normally the mate or flock mates that do this.
View attachment 60584
If he trust you enough you can help with these. I would pinch off the tip, and roll the rest between my fingures and it would just fall apart.
Misting with a spray bottle will help alot during molting. The skin is real itchy and the moisture helps alot to give them some relief. Don't spray them directly, spray as a mist above them and let it fall down on them gently.
Yes clipped wing will be regrow during a molt. When I got my Sunny Phoenix he was clipped as well. They didn't want a baby bird flying around a bird store. During his first molt all the clipped feathers were replaced with new ones and he was off to the skies " in my apartment " again.View attachment 60588
Here you can see the clipped feathers.
View attachment 60589
And his glorious return to flight
Amazing response and detailed as I needed. I really think he’s starting to molt as he’s messing a lot. I do use a mist bottle on him every morning so might do it twice a day if they seems to help. Let’s do this

Big up man

Most Reactions

Back