Is it normal to keep the ID ring on a birds leg its whole life? (UK)

BlueBird95

Oct 17, 2024
Scotland, United Kingdom
Parrots
Blue Ringneck Parrot
Hi folks!

I recently just bought a 4 month old blue indian ring neck parrot from local pet store after years of not owning birds however I've noticed that he has a red ID ring on his leg. I was wondering is this something that stays on his whole life? I did ask the pet shop and they suggested that it is normal for birds to have these on for life. I also asked if they could remove it however they refused and said it should stay on.

I don't remember any of my cockatiels or budgies having these rings on them back in the day when I last owned pet birds. I think that Blue (thats his name) may have his as he was in a petshop and delivered in a bache of both males and females therefor my thinking is that it may have been a way for the pet shop to identify the males from females and same vice versa however to my knowledge it doesn't serve any kind of use now . (they were DNA tested for anyone wondering)

I very highly doubt hell ever need identified by someone and if he does they'l already know who he is, what kind of bird he is and his gender

I suppose the question here is , should it be removed & is it required? and also if anyone could tell me the pros and cons of keeping it on as well as i just can't see any use for it. I know it isn't cruel but it just ruins the birds beauty in my eyes having this ID ring on its leg and as its companion theres just something inside me that thinks its not right such a gorgeous bird has this ring on.

Im guessing that if it can be remove it is best to wait now until he's fully trained and allows me to even get close to it. He is not tame at all. however, he's definitely not a shy bird and I do remain very hopeful we will bond closley enough where he will be fully hand trained, be target trained and learn tricks on command therefor EVENTUALLY (even if it takes years) will allow me close enough to get it off (if thats the route we go)

The other option is of-course taking him to a avian vet to have it removed after he's target and hand trained enough and atleast settled in as many online articles I looked up suggested to do but none I read really giving me a range of opinons or advice on this subject

All input on this would be appreciated.

I wouldn't want to do anything or attempt anything that may betray his trust and set us back in the bonding process. The reality of it is that he'll probably have this thing on his leg now for a long time Im just wondering the pros and cons of having it (if any)

looking forward to everyones opinions.

Attachments

• image5 (1).jpeg
    image5 (1).jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 8
Your position regarding the ring is correct. Other than at the Breeder's and the Pet Store's inventory control the band provides zero use beyond that point. They are in fact a danger as the band can be caught and seriously damage the foot or cause it loss can occur.

The Pet Store is likely refusing to remove the band because of the high likelihood of damaging the leg with the cutting tool. Best to have the Vet remove it as 'if' there is a problem they are trained to stop the bleeding.

In North America our Courts do not recognize bands as identification! Hence not Proof of Ownership. Currently, Microchips are accepted as Proof of Ownership!

Keep on loving your Indian!

Thank you for the swift replies folks. :cool:

I figure I'll eventually get it taken off then. I'm going to wait until he's a bit more trained and settled. Maybe give him 12 months to get used to be atleast before taking him to vet to have his ring clipped as I don't want to stress him out by traveling there unless absolutely needed but long term plan of action is to have this ugly ring removed :confused: Just wish the pet shop had someone that was trained/able to have taken it off him before he went out the door.

From what I've read up though the ring shouldn't cause him any discomfort its just more the getting it stuck in things that is a raised concern but I work from home andam able to keep a eye on him almost 24/7/. We spend around 6-8 hours a day with him right beside me.

With him only being a new addition to the family and 4 months old he is a shy little thing. i wouldn't want to delay in building trust with him right now as I remember from having cockatiels that when bringing them home even brushing past the cage and bumping it by mistake sometimes would set me back weeks if not months with them .

We decided to call him ''bleu'' btw (prepare for loads of postings regarding training and diet advice over the coming months - He's my first ever IRN) :blue2: I'm going to start training him in 2/3 weeks time if he'll take to it by then I'm hoping he should be a bit more comfortable with me and the house to engage in such activities.

Thanks again!

Most Reactions

Back