Is it hormones?

bittybite

Oct 8, 2021
Parrots
Dodo - Green Cheek Conure (hatched 18 August 2021)
Bolo - Pineapple Conure (hatched 20 August 2021)
My Pineapple is now 2YO and was bonded to me. Now, her behaviour has changed. I started noticing that she will screech when I go near her, then when she's out, she prefers to fly to my (adult) daughter instead. She stopped stepping up nor answering any of my speech but now starts doing what my daughter says instead. Today, when I refilled her water, she scrambled as far away as she could from me! I thought it might be nerves, but when I reached nearer her (less than 1"), she panicked and scrambled away again! It's heartbreaking, I have no idea why. I'm hoping someone can assure me it's just hormones.

My interactions with her haven't changed so I'm really dumbfounded. The only time she comes to me like she used to is when I'm holding treats and she'll snatch it away to a corner far from me.

First look very closely at anything you may have changed about yourself personally - hair, makeup, fav top, new glasses. Anything that might be different. Second, have you been away for x amount of time, maybe business trip or weekend away?
Sometimes a very subtle change or perceived slight can upset parrots.

THe time frame is bout right for either puberty or first big mating season, often when changes in fav person status can take place. Hang in there, don't let up, but dont push so hard you alienate further.

Most Reactions

Back