Is Dr.Bronners Pure Castille Liquid Soap (Unscented) safe for bird dish washing?

Welcome to being a birdy momma !

I have bought the unscented Dr Bronners Castile soap to soak wash antique fabrics. I’ve never thought of it as a dish soap. So personally I wouldn’t use it.

Too many oils in it. Hence good for skin and not drying out old fabrics. This linked one has hydrogen peroxide, toxic, and it says the peppermint essential oil might be too much for a toddler to handle. Your baby birdy would probably react the same way. Many essential oils can be toxic too.
Their bowls are usually metal, easy to scrub under a tap with a scourer and then pour over boiling water to sanitize.. This is how I clean mine.

Soap is only needed in cleaning : to remove fats from a surface or help lift off dried on grime/food. I have to assume you wash your bowls daily and aren’t fed fat so on this proviso they “shouldn’t” really ever need soap. I do give my boy the odd drop of red palm nut oil, so those bowls always do get a greasy film and need a drop of soap on a sponge, rinsed under tap, then the boil rinse. (I suppose I could use lemon juice).. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Any soap used to clean bird dishes has to be well rinsed off, really well, therefore the detergent used is immaterial.

I use dawn personally, but as mentioned previously a bird dish will be thoroughly rinsed before replacing in the cage so to me, I'm not so concerned. If it's safe for use on people dishes and not overwhelmingly scented, I believe it should be fine for birds, and have never had any issues. Dawn is affordable and I go through a lot of it because I scrub dishes daily so it works out well for me.

Welcome to being a birdy momma !

I have bought the unscented Dr Bronners Castile soap to soak wash antique fabrics. I’ve never thought of it as a dish soap. So personally I wouldn’t use it.

Too many oils in it. Hence good for skin and not drying out old fabrics. This linked one has hydrogen peroxide, toxic, and it says the peppermint essential oil might be too much for a toddler to handle. Your baby birdy would probably react the same way. Many essential oils can be toxic too.
Their bowls are usually metal, easy to scrub under a tap with a scourer and then pour over boiling water to sanitize.. This is how I clean mine.

Soap is only needed in cleaning : to remove fats from a surface or help lift off dried on grime/food. I have to assume you wash your bowls daily and aren’t fed fat so on this proviso they “shouldn’t” really ever need soap. I do give my boy the odd drop of red palm nut oil, so those bowls always do get a greasy film and need a drop of soap on a sponge, rinsed under tap, then the boil rinse. (I suppose I could use lemon juice).. Hope this helps.
This does help! Thanks so much!!

I use dawn personally, but as mentioned previously a bird dish will be thoroughly rinsed before replacing in the cage so to me, I'm not so concerned. If it's safe for use on people dishes and not overwhelmingly scented, I believe it should be fine for birds, and have never had any issues. Dawn is affordable and I go through a lot of it because I scrub dishes daily so it works out well for me.
I have been using Dawn as well, so maybe I'll continue with that. Thanks so much!

Most Reactions

Back