Introducing.......

He/she is such a beautiful bird! :D I absolutely love the Blue Throated macs! Though it is the other Karen's bird, you know he/she is 'yours' also!! Step birds count ;)

...and I had to laugh at Shirre's comment about her shirt! :D THAT'S why the bird immediately took to her huh?! It saw the macaws and said hey this person's alright! LOL :)

Oh my gosh how SUPER exciting!!! THAT is love at first sight, no ifs, ands or buts. :D What a GORGEOUS snuggle bunny your Karen has found. WO-HOOO!!! So happy for both of you! :)

Karen, you could try using pliers to get the quicklinks (the heavy duty SS ones) to close, that's what I have to do with both my macs as they disassemble everything otherwise. :52:

Thanks for the suggestion Wendy! We'll have to try that.

Congrats! I just LOVE the looks of the Blue throats! I also like that they are a tad smaller. I have heard that they are amazing at taking things apart.:eek:

What a stunning macaw! Love the blue spot on his/her throat:) Looking forward to hearing what you name it!

What a cutie! I love Romeo, too for a name. ;)

BTM's are one of my absolute favorite macaws!!!

Congrats! It's funny how both of the medium sized Bolivian macaws (red fronts being the other) like to lie and play on their backs like that. They really are roll-ey poll-ey little lap birds.

congrats! I just love the looks of the blue throats! I also like that they are a tad smaller. I have heard that they are amazing at taking things apart.:eek:

probably the most mechanical bird in the world!!!

Awww!!! What a cutie! Congratulations! :)

I should also add, that they are probably the best trick bird of all the macaws. They are amazing fliers, and they really don't have to be shown any behaviors more than twice...

But as to their mechanical abilities, there is a breeder I know in California who had a pair of these DISASSEMBLE AN ENTIRE MACAW FLIGHT - i.e. UNBOLTED IT! So he went back and "macaw proofed" it, thinking no way that happens again... (It took them about two hours longer that time!!! Crash, boom, squawk!)

I know another one whose favorite bird toy is a socket wrench. I kid you not. Pegboard with a bunch of stainless steel bolts on it, screwed down tight, and a socket wrench on a chain. Bird pulls the socket wrench up with his foot, puts it in his beak, and uses the socket wrench on the bolts!

He learned this just by watching his owner using one in the garage. It wasn't a trick. "That looks like fun! Let me try!"

:eek:

The one word of caution with these little guys is to remember to just take a nail file to the point of that beak and blunt it every now and again, because it can become needle sharp.

He's probably tame enough to just sit there and let you do it, and think it's a game.

Sounds awesome and terrifying! :)

YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT THE THINGS YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TRAIN THIS BIRD TO DO... Effortlessly. (RFM's are actually pretty similar behavior wise...) And these birds are all play and cuddles...

ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE BIG MACS!!

Late to the party here, Karen, but congratulations on a beautiful, and apparently snuggly, bird!

Hello, I was just looking at random posts when I ran across yours. And was surprised to see we frequent the same store/shelter Adventures in Birds. And to top it all off I had just been there 4 days before you and saw her(the BTM) and almost bought her but I just didn't have the funds that day :(
But in short I'm extremely glad she found an amazing new home !

Hello, I was just looking at random posts when I ran across yours. And was surprised to see we frequent the same store/shelter Adventures in Birds. And to top it all off I had just been there 4 days before you and saw her(the BTM) and almost bought her but I just didn't have the funds that day :(
But in short I'm extremely glad she found an amazing new home !

S/he's a real sweetie. And definitely wrapped us around her claw very quickly. There was someone in the shop at the same time as us playing with their 3 month old BTM.

We never made it past the front door. Generally we make a pass through the bird section and then the food section, but she was out by the front and that was all she wrote.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back