Introducing The New Adventures Of Princess Peach!! 💝

My poor Princess Peachie had to go to the vet today :( It started out this morning when I noticed her keeping her right eye closed rather a lot. I was hoping that maybe she'd just got a little something stuck in her eye, but as the day wore on she really wasn't acting like herself - as my husband later said, she was being decidedly un-Peachie!! She was still eating, drinking, pooping, flying etc, but in between times she really seemed to be quite listless, not chasing Lovejoy around as much she usually does, floofing up her feathers and sitting just a little too quietly for my liking and napping quite a bit as well. So with all of that and the closing of her eye I thought I'd better go get it checked out, and thank God I can get an appointment with her bird vet pretty much whenever I need one! She couldn't see her Uncle Adrian today, so she met her new Uncle Brock. Physically she looks really good, much improved on when I first got her and is now a hefty 106 grams. Brock suspects that she may indeed still have psittacosis - unfortunately as was mentioned earlier in this thread the gold standard psittacosis test was made by one lab in Israel and for whatever reason they don't make it any more, leaving my poor Peachie (and everyone else!) having to use the next best thing which is a PCR test, and sadly it seems not all the labs that screen the tests are not of equal standards either :( So Peachie has had another test for psittacosis done which has been sent to a different lab for screening and we now await the result. Meanwhile the poor baby has had to start another round of doxycycline injections which may potentially go for another 5 weeks. She has handled it all extremely well, just like she did the first time around, but we'll see how she feels about it if that test comes back positive and she has to go for the full course of 6 injections! :cry:

And there are Peachie pics for tax:

Me and Peachie and her Uncle Brock...

3D3GhGa.jpg

.... the model patient, at a chonky 106 grams ...

1hBzROC.jpg

... Peachie passes her physical with flying colours, and she was such a good girl for her Uncle Brock!

1i2Txor.jpg

6OcGDPL.jpg

Dr Brock will call me on Thursday to discuss results and recommendations for ongoing treatment. I'm honestly not sure if I should hope for a negative psittacosis test or not, psittacosis is a nasty, persistent thing that can lie dormant in tissues for a long time and if present at low levels can be VERY difficult for current testing to pick up. But on the other hand if it isn't psittacosis then we need to go down the road of more invasive testing to find out what she's got. So if y'all wouldn't mind please crossing your fingers for my precious little Peachie, we sure would appreciate it 💖

Last edited:
oh no, I hope Peach will be alright 🤞

(btw I am suprised a bit that you can upload pics of your vet)
Thank you Aunty Rozzy 🥰 Peachie is tucked up in her bed right now but I'll be sure to pass on your best wishes to her in the morning 💖

Awwwww, poor Peachie pie! All my best prayers and vibes on the way for a quick resolution to whatever it is. 🙏🙏 Thank goodness she has the best birdie Mama ever to take care of her! ♥️

Awwwww, poor Peachie pie! All my best prayers and vibes on the way for a quick resolution to whatever it is. 🙏🙏 Thank goodness she has the best birdie Mama ever to take care of her! ♥️
Thank you, Uncle Fred!! I don't know about "best" birdie mama, there are WAY better birdie mums and dads out there than me. But it's not hard to do one's best for Peachie, she's such a sweet little thing! 💖

Poor Peachie girl :( I hope she starts feeling better soon. Glad you were able to quickly get her to the vet. Hoping for good results and that she tolerates those injections as long as she needs to!

Poor Peachie has got off to a bit of a rough start this morning. None of her usual pre-dawn mutterings, still looking very fluffed and unhappy, and it took her a few hours to eat anything. And the final indignity was that Lovejoy managed to poop on her, and apparently I'm the bad guy for cleaning it off!! :rolleyes:

However that bit of movement seems to have stimulated her into a bit of action, she hopped into Lovejoy's cage to steal some of his nectar mix, and i let her this time cos I figure a little high energy food might be a good thing for her. Happily she's eaten some of her regular pellets and I'll give her some seeds shortly too, again on the basis that as long as she's eating that has to be a plus! And other than the pooping incident, Lovejoy's been giving her lots of love and care ...

IMG_1188.jpeg

... and they did a few circuits of the living room together, but now she's sitting back in her spot in the sun for another snooze ...

IMG_1190.jpeg

I think I'm in for a long day of Peachie Watch. Thank you everyone for all your love, care, prayers, vibes and support, it means the world to Peachie and me!!💖

Continued prayers and healing vibes for my very favorite Aussie niece are heading your way! 🙏🙏🙏♥️♥️♥️🤗🤗🤗 You got this, Peachie!

Just a little Peachie update for y'all. She's still napping quite a bit and keeping the eye closed, but eating pretty well and doing a little flying, mostly when Lovejoy gets her in the mood for it. And she's been a good girl and ate some veg as soon as I put it out...

pwv2.jpeg

pwv1.jpeg

... and sharing is caring 💖

pljveg.jpeg

Oooooohhhh and I got a recording of her just now too, has to be the most vocal she's been for the last 2 or 3 days!! And I'm not out at sea, the bell you can hear in the background is telling the kids at our local primary school that class is in session again :)

Scream your little head off, Peachie-poo, there's no sweeter sound in the world!! Aaaaaand she just joined Lovejoy for a few zoomies around the house too, gotta be happy with that!!

Just a little Peachie progress report - she seems to be a bit perkier this morning :) Still napping more than usual but got stuck straight into her breakfast, has had a few zoomies around the house with Lovejoy and i don't think she's keeping that eye closed quite as much. Hopefully this means the anti-biotics she had on Tuesday are kicking in and any pain from the injection site that might have troubled her yesterday is gone.

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hope this is "only" psittacosis cos then at least we know what we're dealing with. But at the same time I'll be SO bummed if it is cos that means the original lab got it wrong and poor Peachie wouldn't be going through this cos we'd have had it sorted months ago. We'll see what Dr Brock says when I speak to him today. Thanks to everyone for all your positivity and support, and I hope we have a better day!! 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Have spoken to Dr Brock, he's happy to hear Peachie is doing much better today. She's been MUCH perkier this afternoon, lots more flying, doing her happy hippity hoppity thing across the tops of the cages, chatting up Lovejoy, eating like there's no tomorrow and her poop looks better too. He says the test results won't be in for at least another week, maybe two, so sadly she has another few of those nasty injections in her near future. But oh never have I wanted a test result to come back positive for psittacosis in my life, cos the alternatives to get a diagnosis etc sound a bit scary :eek:

And she's SO much happier in herself that she's even been up for a game of peekaboo, followed by a very healthy looking and well-formed poop at the end. Can't ask for much more than that 💝

Oh my goodness, she looks sooooo much better! Happy girl! ❤️❤️❤️
So glad she’s feeling a bit better!

So very happy to hear!! Way to go Peachie!!
Thank you, thank you and thank you, I'm just SO relieved she's doing so much better! That injection is a pretty painful one and i do think it does bug them for a while afterwards - thankfully she has responded to it well though. It's just such a bummer we have to wait so long for this test result, I've been so spoiled for years getting it back usually within 24 hours and with pretty much 100% accuracy!

This whole episode has sparked a whole new vernacular in our house though. Hubby and I now have a "Peach-O-Meter", a scale from 1 to 10 of how "Peachie" we and/or the birds are feeling. The patient herself yesterday was a solid 8, maybe even and 8 and a half. Judging by how quickly she spotted Lovejoy's cage door open and ninja-ed herself in there to steal his food, I think today she's a 9 on the Peach-O-Meter at least!!

And for birdy tax, this is about as good as I could get today without Lovejoy wanting to eat the phone, but you get the picture 💖
IMG_1201.jpeg

Ok, so you know how sometimes you walk into a shop meaning to buy one thing, and you come away with something totally different? Well, that happened to me just this last Saturday.

Hubby and i went grocery shopping, but before that we needed to go to the hardware store, which just happens to be right beside a pet store. Lovejoy needed some more lorikeet food, so we popped into the pet store to grab that, and in doing so we saw this ...

HcN6Ema.jpg

... a sweet little princess parrot with, horror of horrors, a single wing clip. I SO wanted to buy her on the spot, but for starters we already have a flock of four, and we'd need to buy her a new cage for which we really have neither the budget nor the floor space in our small house for, plus the extra vet bills and all sorts of other unknowable considerations. I left the pet store in tears, subsequently cried my way around the grocery store, and when I got home I spent the afternoon doing the maths and the geometry in my head, trying to think of ways to make it work, so that maybe I could find a way to be able to bring her home after all. Finally I decided, you know what, there are dozens of reasons why I shouldn't do it, but only one reason why I should, and that reason is pictured below. So may I please introduce you all to the newest and most unexpected member of our family, the very beautiful and completely adorable Princess Peach!!

fFbNypg.jpg

It's only very early days, but she has slotted in with our existing flock very well, and she is already COMPLETELY besotted with Lovejoy!! She has been to my avian vet for a check up and has so far tested negative to a lot of health conditions that are fairly common in princess parrots here, but I'm still waiting on the results of a test for psittacosis which may take 3 weeks or so to come back. I am accustomed to getting results of that test within 24 hours but apparently the one and only lab in the world that made those tests doesn't make them anymore, and the remaining PCR test takes much longer to get a result. So as my vet is fairly sure she either has something lurking now or has had it in her recent past, for both her and the rest of my flock's safety we have started her on a 6 week course of antibiotic injections to combat anything current or lingering. I have also had her vet perform a feather implant procedure to restore her wing - shockingly enough she was able to fly pretty well even with that awful clip but she would never have been able to keep up with the rest of the flock and may have done herself a terrible injury had she tried to do so. Here's a pic of her having just had her implant done (with a BIG shout out to Dr Adrian and the team at Brisbane Bird Vet, they always do amazing work!) ...

fMM97Ol.jpg

... and another from today, with her wing restored!

mCcGmBs.jpg

Now, as to her name, naturally there's more backstory behind that too. According to the store, they sold her to someone else prior to me, and they were the ones who named her Peach. Apparently however, they returned her to the store because they were unable to "manage" her, I have no idea what they meant by that, perhaps it may have been because she is actually VERY NOISY for such a little bird. It's not constant screaming, but a very loud contact call is a feature of her species, so perhaps that was a factor. I've decided to stick with her name because it actually does suit her, and given her species it's pretty much inevitable that "Princess" would get tagged onto it. I *was* gonna leave out the Super Mario "Toadstool" bit but the more I think about it, that's pretty cute too! She's had a rough start to life, and I can't help but wonder if a certain other "Princess" might just have made me take a detour into that pet shop on Saturday, the whole thing certainly seems to have Lilly's magical little claw prints all over it ✨
It’s amazing that you had princess’s wing repaired so she can fly. I’ve debated having Nico’s broken wing repaired. I have just been so scared because I was told that birds don’t do well under anesthesia. I would be not okay for quite sometime if I lost Nico. This story does give me inspiration to do it. Nico try’s to fly all the time. It’s sad to watch.

Most Reactions

Back