I'm really torn....

I'm going to throw up, I'm now leaving to the vets

Clearly Petri was proving you wrong.

In his fairness, she LOOKS all sweet and cuddly like his last friend...

Send Petri my hugs,

I hope everything is ok with Petri!!!! Let us know how everything went....

good lord Lintini! That's a pretty late trip to be making to the vets - I hope it goes ok - is just a foot or toe?? Let us know how it went - jeeze oh man

I guess if it was me Beth I'd of let her scream her head off for today, and just took an aspirin lol - but it seems like when you brought her back into where you were, that she 'won,' and that would on reinforce her behavior don't you think? This is not a problem I've ever had, plus my birds are small so they physically can't be as loud as Willow. But I have trained dogs, and my cat, and generally I'm firm and eventually they get what I'm trying to impart to them. You are a very experienced pet owner though - could it be you just have a soft spot for Willow or you just don't have the patience?

somehow I missed your post gary:confused:........I only brought her back last night just to get some peace and quiet.

I'll try again today,and wheel her in there when I clean the bedroom.

Monica had an excellent post about a new conure that she got, and wheeled it around with her constantly, for quite a while, but that was so the bird wanted to be with her, not because of time out of the cage.

My cousin never handled her either....ugggg, only to remove and put her back into the cage....that was it!.....so no wonder I have my work cut out for me.

Do you have a budgie cage that you could set her in, walk her to your room, then take her out?

Or, grab her, and put a light towel on her? Do you think she'd freak or freeze?

Or, hold her feet (with gloves on....)?

Or, hold her to your chest?

Or, have 2 shirts on and let her climb up in between them (she might find that terrifying though)?

I love your ideas, ha ha

I've thought of towelling her, but I am worried that would further damage what I've managed to achieve.
it would get her into the bedroom, but once she saw that towel again, she would fear it instantly......"oh no....here she comes again with that nasty thing that's going to trap me":eek:
....birds, why do they have to be so complicated:rolleyes:

I kid you not, its been an hour and my pcc Petri landed on her cage with me in the room and she bit his toe. I am covered in blood and I am on the way to the vets. I SHOULDN'T HAVE SAID ANYTHING OMGgggggggggg. It's like karma!!!!!!!

Oh wow!!....dang birds!!....I hope Petri didn't loose a toe:eek:
lets hope things go smoothly at the vets....keep us posted!

today, I brought Willow into the bedroom with me while I cleaned up....I pulled her cage into the room(which was no easy task, but she seemed to tolerate it)
surprisingly she was quite good today....happily playing and entertaining herself while I did the dirty work....
I had to leave the room for about 5 minutes to take a call, and she only screamed twice, which was a HUGE improvement over yesterday....tomorrow is another day.

I've decided to do this everyday, then let her out(with all my other birds caged) and see how she reacts. I can get her back in the cage fairly easily, it's getting her out that is a challenge.

I think if I was in your position, I'd just train the cats to come on command! LOL

Squirt is a male cat and if food is involved, he'll come running! He's actually quite demanding of food and will prance ahead of you in anticipation of being fed.

Sprite, his sister on the other hand, isn't as highly food motivated. Yes, she likes treats and canned food, but good luck getting her to move if she's lying down! I kind of solved this by coaxing her to come to me for scritches - something she loves! So whenever she comes to me, she gets lovin's! Now it's kind of to the point that if I'm across the other side of the house and she can see me, if I make a noise at her, she pretty much instantly comes running! Or meandering.... whichever she's in the mood for! Might take a detour or two, but she'll definitely get there!

I grew up having only one cat at a time, even when one had kittens. Gave one kitten away, the mother got hit by a car, one kitten disappeared and my grandmother killed the last kitten... (he was an adult by that time, but he was also the only cat left) So Squirt and Sprite are the only cats that I've had more than one of at a time, as adults.

I would guess it might be more difficult training four cats, but if they all love canned foods and/or treats, maybe even cooked chicken or some tuna (if all are fine eating those things), then I'd recommend encouraging them to go into the room for their goodies. If they aren't fighting while in the room, then occasionally go in and reward them. Make being *IN* that room a positive experience for the cats so they'll actually enjoy being in there when it's time for Willow to come out!

PS, I no longer have to wheel the cage around the house with me! ;) Jayde is now flighted so she can fly after me if she so wishes! :D

There are some cat treats that come in a box. I have found once they relate the shaking of the box to treats they come running. In that way you can heard them just a thought

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back