I'm feeling a little deflated with training Nova

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I feel like it's 1 step forward 10 back with her. She's love food but isn't motivated by it at all or if she does like something she won't take it from my hand or a bowl I'm holding. She doesn't seem interested In training at all.

I love her and thinks she's absolutely adorable but she just doesn't seem to enjoy the interactions

Any suggestions?

aside from trying to find that one super treat she WILL take as a traning treat, keep in mind not every parrot needs a food treat. SOme do better with obvious, copious praise, or with small scratchies. Salty happens to like being told he is a smart parrot (he really does, better then being a 'good bird'). Also try to find a trick the parrot loves to do anyway - Salty will do tricks with this 7" hoop - walking thru it, flipping over his head, anything. He will do that ad nauseum with out any treats, he just loves it! That trick will be your gateway.

And you know this already - patience!! and then more patience!

aside from trying to find that one super treat she WILL take as a traning treat, keep in mind not every parrot needs a food treat. SOme do better with obvious, copious praise, or with small scratchies. Salty happens to like being told he is a smart parrot (he really does, better then being a 'good bird'). Also try to find a trick the parrot loves to do anyway - Salty will do tricks with this 7" hoop - walking thru it, flipping over his head, anything. He will do that ad nauseum with out any treats, he just loves it! That trick will be your gateway.

And you know this already - patience!! and then more patience!
She doesn't like being touched at all by me and just likes to sit on my knee and just look pretty 😅 she just really isn't wanting to do more in terms of interacting with me

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back