I just received SAFARIS' TOXICOLOGY RESULTS

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I just spoke to Evan, my vet, in regards to Safari's Necropsy Toxicology results.

good news was he did NOT have any viruses, so that is great news for my other birds.

He was in renal failure(kidney failure) at 75%, which was the point of no return.

Unfortunately they were not able to determine WHAT TYPE of metal and needed to do further testing....

which I agreed to.

I am upset that Safari died, of course, but what is driving me NUTS is HOW HE DIED.

Evan will contact the University of Guelph of Medicine for Veterinary Care, and notify they continue the testing

I need to know what type of metal Safari consumed, so I can get closure, and put this behind me. If it were say (for example) lead, he would have consumed it fairly recently, as lead is highly toxic and does not take long to show the effects.

If it were Zinc, it would take longer, possibly weeks for it to start showing signs.

another 7- 10 days .....and I will finally know....

In sorry you had to go through this. Hopefully you'll get the results soon and get some closure

Sorry, Beth, I was hoping you'd get full closure today. :( I pray you'll get the answers that you need. HUGS!!!

Im so sorry it must be awful having to deal with this and waiting so long :(

Nickel might be the culprit, Crimson. It's highly toxic, and is used in chrome plating. The base metal (could be diecast zinc, iron etc) is first plated with copper, then nickel, then chrome. You can't put chrome on directly as it'll corrode the underlying metal through electrolysis. I've noticed our "fruit sticks" bought in pet shops eventually show copper, the chrome wears off or is eaten away by fruit acids (it's very thin) by which time they're fit to throw away. Then again, cheaper chrome plating might leave out the nickel step- and there's no guarantee the bell part was chromed, either.

I hate this being dragged out, but it is what it is.

I miss Safari, but have come to terms with his death and I am moving on.
what has made it much easier for me, is communicating all of this with all of you, which has helped tremendously.
Also, I have other birds as well, so even though Safari is constantly on my mind, and not seeing him in the cage still is hard, it is easier now than last week.

So sorry you have to go through this Beth. Heres hoping the results come back quickly! Sending many hugs your way.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back