I HAVE COCKATIEL QUESTIONS!!

P&Eteils0101

Oct 8, 2024
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels (Pixie, another on the way!)
SKIP TO QUESTIONS IF THATS WHAT YOUR HERE FOR!!!

hey guys i recently got a cockatiel, i got told it was a female. she is a lutino coated cockatiel. at the moment she is in a fairly small cage but don't worry i ordered a huge cage from amazon plus Shes almost never in her cage. Her name is Pixie, and she is a little brat (just kidding) she really LOVES jewellery and enjoys chewing on it, but i have stopped wearing jewellery around her because i read somewhere that she can get intoxicated and possibly pass away. She has met a lot of people for example my friends and family. When i go to take her out of the cage she nips my fingers and screams, i have started to let her come out on her own and she has stopped nipping. She also isn't loud; she does a few chirps but other than that she doesn't really do a lot.

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME ABOUTT UR COCKATIEL!! i want to see and hear about everyone experience as I'm enjoying mine very much.

my friend is getting a bird in about 2-3 week, her options are a cockatiel or ring neck. If you have any advice Youd like me to share with her, please let me know. i also wanted to know if it's good or bad to bring her around another bird at least once every 1-2 months. in the future I'll probably get a male cockatiel just to understand the different personalities and experience a male. I may also breed in the future once I'm not so new to the bird things.

WING CLIPPING.
when i got Pixie, the person clipped one of her wings, so she didn't fly away on our first day, which i hate to say but I'm glad they did because she used to try and fly away all the time. when she is able to fly again i have a harness ready so she can experience the outside world for herself, as she already does now

QUESTION:
1. how do i tell if my bird is bonded to me?
2. what advice do you have for people new to owning a bird?
3. How big should a cockatiel cage be?
4. how do i tell the difference between male and female cockatiels? (p.s my bird has very noticeable barring under her tail, and she has a wide area below, not sure of what its called but the person i got her from said that.)
5. why won't my cockatiel bathe and is it okay to spray water on them instead? (She has a bird bath connected to her cage but doesn't go in it)
6. How do i start to train my bird?
7. what tricks should i train her?

Thank you very much for ready all of that (if you did!)

So, sounds like you and your friend are really enjoying birds. Clip both of her wings.. itā€™s safer. Sometimes birds are just sleepy. They play, take naps, etc. I have found that having a bird basket for them to perch on when they are with you helps some. The paper towel goes in the bottom, toys can be hung on it, etc. She may be a bit overwhelmed. Try offering special food like stem millet or Bird Street Bist

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back