I have a 22 yr old Gray who was raised on people food and is a picky eater .I’ve had him for 3yrs. Any suggestions for new food ideas

Scoots

May 4, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
I had heard that you can feed in African gray rice. He’s a picky eater, but I want to try new stuff. He was raised on people food and I was very fortunate to inherit him after the previous owner passed away from cancer. I heard that you could give parrots rice, but I’m stumped as to what kind of rice. all the rice that I’ve seen has some sodium in it. Where do I find Sodium free rice to feed him?

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed!

So abruptly changing a parrots foods is dangerous - they are more then capable of starving themselves to death if they dont like what is available to eat. Change slowly, over time. Introduce new foods gradually and see what he is actually eating and what is being ignored or thrown out of his bowl. Rice is not good for parrots, its essentially starches and little else. PLease see our nutrition subforum for more ideas on safe healthy diets and ideas to introduce them.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
What Wrenchie said!

Here's my story...

Here's what I use.
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.

OP
S

Scoots

May 4, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
What Wrenchie said!

Here's my story...

Here's what I use.
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.

Hi, I was reading your article about the Harrison’s food. Do you have an African gray? I did try some pellets, but the one size was very small and he threw them around like it was a toy. The other ones were so big that he just looked at him and tossed those as well. Does Harrison have a variety of it like a decent size for an African gray? Do they specify? I know I’m asking a lot of questions, but I’m just trying to find something that I can give scooter. I worked during the day so I want something in his cage besides the birdie bread so I’m up for any options. I will look on the Harrison site and check it out. Thank you so much.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
While Harrisons and tops are 2 highly rated brands, in the end, the best pellet for your parrot is the one he actually eats. That translates as: try lots of brands, sizes, blends and not for just a serving or 3. It took my 'zon a few months before he recognized pellets as food and I found one he started eating.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hi, I was reading your article about the Harrison’s food. Do you have an African gray? I did try some pellets, but the one size was very small and he threw them around like it was a toy. The other ones were so big that he just looked at him and tossed those as well. Does Harrison have a variety of it like a decent size for an African gray? Do they specify? I know I’m asking a lot of questions, but I’m just trying to find something that I can give scooter. I worked during the day so I want something in his cage besides the birdie bread so I’m up for any options. I will look on the Harrison site and check it out. Thank you so much.
My bird is a 40-year-old Patagonian Conure... about the same size but very different metabolically, I'd bet.
Oh, and Harrison's does come in sizes...

Most Reactions