I don't know what to do...

So cancer is in both of her kidney or just one??? Thanks for the updates!!!

Just one... which is good news. I'm not sure what its like in the US/other countries. But wait times for kidney transplants in British Columbia (and I think most of Canada) are insane. 5 years average I believe... might be even more than that. Having said that, my mom and I are the same blood type. So I'd have donated a kidney to her in an instant. But her second kidney is healthy. :)

That's very good news!!!! I hope everything goes well!!!! :)

So an update for those of you who were kind enough to reply to this thread :)

My mom has had her kidney removed, and recovered very well from her surgery. The doctors think they may have successfully removed all of it, and they determined that the initial diagnose of stage III was wrong; it was actually stage II. So not in the lymph nodes... but they removed the ones near the kidney to be safe. But anyways that's good news :). She's been getting chemo, mostly as a precaution/ incase it did spread at all. The chemo is of course taking a tole on her... but we're in high hopes she'll be okay. My dad has also been able to change his shifts around so he's home during the week for her, and my sister on the weekend. I still have been visiting often of course. But winter driving on the highways in northern Canada is, needless to say, a bit nerve wracking.

I also may have some light at the end of the tunnel in my job situation; there are jobs coming up in Kamloops and Nanaimo BC which means I'd have to move... but I think I'd love Nanaimo and the pay is pretty good. Downside is it'd be even harder to visit my mom, but she insists I apply on the job. She really is feeling positive about beating her cancer and I mean... if she's telling me to go for I figure it's worth a shot.

So, things are looking up. It's been a long few months but I think we're gonna be okay. And perhaps I'll now have to start doing my research on bird-friendly apartments in Nanaimo haha... so if any of you from around there might know of such a place please chime in

I think I've gone on enough but just want you guys to know it means a lot to have all these people I've never even met offering their kind words. :)

Last edited:
I have tears in my eyes reading all the posts here. I am so thrilled that your Mom is now doing well! I will add your Mom and family to my prayers, and hopefully things will just continue to get better! It is wonderful that she is feeling positive as that means so much in recovery! I hope the job and everything else works out for you. I am honoured to be part of such a wonderful forum of people that are here.

Oh yes! Thank you for the update! I'd been wondering how things were going for your Mum.

Y'know, my Mum lost a kidney to infection when she was in her thirties. She has lived sixty years since then and is as healthy as a horse today at nearly ninety-two. I remember tracing the long scar around Mum's body and wondering how anyone could survive being virtually cut in half like that - but they can! People are resilient! Clearly, your dear Mum is bent on recovering and watching you succeed in this new job!

Sending my very heartiest best wishes to you both - oh, and to Pixel as well! :)

I'm glad everything turns out for the best!!!! Good luck on applying for your new job!!! ;)

I am so relieved to hear that things turned out better for you and your m.i.l.

that is some serious stuff you've been thru, does that mean your going to keep Pixel??

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Sorry for what you are going through and your Mum
I have lost both my parents and recently my brother to cancer
Take one day at a time
Keeping you in my prayers
We are all here for you
Hugs

that is some serious stuff you've been thru, does that mean your going to keep Pixel??

Yes, I'm keeping the little goober. Admittedly she has not gotten as much attention as she maybe deserves through this but she's been (mostly) pretty good about it... unrelated but I think she's going through birdy-puberty and has started attacking my elbows... but that's really a minor problem in the scheme of things lately! (And if anything kind of funny... what bird decided to have it out for elbows? :confused:)

And again, thanks SO SO much for all the well wishes for my mom, my job... and Pixel too, of course.

Yes, I'm keeping the little goober. Admittedly she has not gotten as much attention as she maybe deserves through this but she's been (mostly) pretty good about it... unrelated but I think she's going through birdy-puberty and has started attacking my elbows... but that's really a minor problem in the scheme of things lately! (And if anything kind of funny... what bird decided to have it out for elbows? :confused:)

And again, thanks SO SO much for all the well wishes for my mom, my job... and Pixel too, of course.

I am glad your mom is doing better and I am glad you are keeping the little bird. I know in your situation you are juggling to do what is right for your family and pets. As everyone stated pets can be good therapy to have around.

I honestly don't know what to say... So many people here have already said everything I've wanted to say... I am praying for you and your family (Mum included of course ^^). *hugs* As others have said, we are always here for you!

I've never lost a family member, let alone to cancer, so I don't know what you're going through.. but I can imagine it's very difficult! *hugs again* I'm very sorry for you and your family's stress! Good news that it hasn't spread any where else!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back