I Did It...My 1st Parrot is a CAG

Well, Trixie has been with me a week now...I've been so enthralled with her, I just got back to the computer. The last 2 days she's been talking practically nonstop (LOL)! I hope that means she's adjusting well. I'm letting her do things on her own terms and in her own time frame; I figure I've got 50 years to look forward to, so there's no reason to rush our relationship, right? Her current vocabulary includes:
What?!
Hello
Wanna apple?
Barley (former owner's dog)
Woof! Woof! Woof!
Good Girl, Trixie
Carrot
Various wild bird calls
Various whistles
She says "Hello" when I pick up the ringing telephone.
Today was the first day she repeated something I said (Good Morning); I was thrilled!
Her favorite place to perch right now is on top of her open cage door. She climbs inside and outside of her cage, but she hasn't really started playing yet. I think I'm in love. My DH loves her, too!
Here's a few pics:

Trixie005.jpg

Trixie002.jpg

:D So exciting - Trixie is gorgeous.

Your right, no sense rushing things, it will only stress her out. Just teach her things and bond at a consistant easy going pace and she will be happy.

And what a marvelous vocabulary she has! Greys are so good at picking up words.

Wow! Trixie is such a good talker. Mine hardly talk human language.

...I am now the awestruck owner of a CAG; Trixie :D

Silly Silly Girl, as time goes by you'll come to realize that YOU are owned by a CAG named Trixie:p.....lol, congrats on the new fid (FID=Feathered Kid), just be careful with also keeping chickens, there are many nasties that can be transfered between them and Trixie,and vice versa, wash hands past the elbows and a change of clothes would be advised before cross handling, good luck to you and Trixie and best wishes for many years of happiness for you both

OMG OMG OMG that looks exactly like Mishka OMG........ :p

My son Steven insists "IT IS MISHKA" wow the resemblance is amazing. I know all Grey's look the same, yet Trixie and Mishka are like "twins" The shape of their heads, their eyes are so identical, even their posing position. Comparing Mishka to Zazo, they are so different. The shape of their heads, their eyes are so so different.
Trixie is absolutely gorgeous.......... How old is she?
Aussie Ben is correct no point in rushing things, they will eventually fall into place.
Such a thrill when they are vocal, their ability to talk amazes me everyday. Keep talking day and night, 24/7, even when you think they are not listening and learning THEY ARE BELIEVE ME. Mishka has said words we had already forgotten we taught her.
You are in for an experience that lasts a lifetime. :D
Enjoy Trixie

She DOES look like Mishka! Her eyes seem to have a slight tilt to them, as if she's oriental. We talk throughout the day; it's already become a habit for me to repeat everything she says. If I'm out of the room, she just vocalizes louder so I can hear her. I'm looking forward to being able to take her with me throughout the house. Right now I know her safe zone is her cage, and I'm going to let her decide when it's time to explore the rest of the house. Today she made her way up to the top of her playstand on top of the cage and stayed there for her morning preen & nap. July is going to be a fun month because we're watching the Tour De France on TV every morning (and evening when my DH gets home) for the next 3 weeks.
Bobby34231, do you know what things could be transferred from the chickens? I'm taking your advice and washing thoroughly & changing clothes (I have designated old chicken clothes, already). Concerning my chickens, I disinfect all of their things with oxine (it's 10 times stronger than bleach & safe for poultry) on a regular basis. Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone! I'm sure I'll be asking many questions in the upcoming months!

Most Reactions

Back