I Did It...My 1st Parrot is a CAG

SunnyChic

Jun 15, 2010
Central Florida
Parrots
Trixie, a Congo African Grey
I'm new to the forum and new to parrots (I have chickens); I've been reading voraciously for the last month on owning parrots, and several days ago I came across an ad for a CAG on Craigslist. I knew that an CAG was my dream bird and had been considering a Green Cheek Conure as a 1st parrot. It's just my DH & me, and I stay at home. I decided to contact the owner and we set up a visit today for me to meet Trixe, who's 7 years old. The family has had her since she was a weaned baby, and Trixie looked healthy & happy. The mom is the primary caregiver and has recently had to return to work. Her two children are also getting older and their after school activities have increased, so the mom has to be away from home the majority of the day. She feels that Trixie deserves someone who can spend more time with her (that's the only reason they're rehoming her). Well, after a 2 hour visit, I'm sure you can guess what happened...I am now the awestruck owner of a CAG; Trixie decided I was ok (she stepped up without a nip). They're going to keep her for an extra week so that I can ready Trixie's new living space and get everything around here totally organized and "parrot-proofed". I'm also going to schedule a visit for Trixie to my Avian Vet (he takes care of my chickens).
I'm so excited, I just had to post! I'm also thrilled that I found this great forum. :D

Yeah baby, Mishka my AG will have a "new cousin" on the forum :D
I can just imagine how excited you are. You are in for the ride of your life
They are natural born entertainers, always showing off
Wonder what the chicken will say about the new arrival :D
Let us know when Trixie arrives, then get the camera snapping !!!!!!

We are so happy for you, especially us grey people. Antionette is correct and she has an awesome CAG she has trained to talk. I have a Timneh named Rosie who is a sweetie pie. You are so smart to do your research ahead of time. I hope Trixie is on a pellets and lots of fresh foods. That is half the work when you rehome a bird. Getting them to eat what they should eat. We love pics too!!

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Any questions don't hesitate to ask and most of all Enjoy the ride :grey:

Thanks, everyone! She is not on a pellet diet, so that is one thing I'll work on when she comes home. I found out that her favorite foods are apples, raw carrots, and slightly steamed broccoli. Her mom feeds her a seed mixture right now. I checked a parrot handbook out from the public library and it has an extensive chapter on diet that I'll be reading tonight. I can't wait to start taking pics. I love reading everyone's posts about their greys.
I have a feeling one of the first things she will start mimicking here will be my bantam roosters' crows. LOL

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new addition! I know the excitement you feel! This Tuesday I will be adopting a green cheek conure.

I cant wait to see pictures of your CAG. They are such beautiful birdies :)

Hi there, welcome to the forum!! Very pleased to meet you. This is a fabulous community full of valuable tips and tricks, and people who are always ready to help.

How exciting and nerve-racking, starting out with such a big bird. You're going to have so much fun with Trixie!! You'll find her to be loving, loyal, smart, and affectionate. Enjoy her!

Hey, you're a chicken enthusiast too? That's neat. I love chickens myself, and I go to a chicken forum called 'www.backyardchickens.com'. That's a great place, too.

Last edited:
Hi there, welcome to the forum!! Very pleased to meet you. This is a fabulous community full of valuable tips and tricks, and people who are always ready to help.

How exciting and nerve-racking, starting out with such a big bird. You're going to have so much fun with Trixie!! You'll find her to be loving, loyal, smart, and affectionate. Enjoy her!

Hey, you're a chicken enthusiast too? That's neat. I love chickens myself, and I go to a chicken forum called 'www.backyardchickens.com'. That's a great place, too.

Yeah, I saw your post on the "Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parrots, etc." thread on BYC about this forum and thought I'd come check it out (I'm so glad I did!). My "parrot fever" started while reading the BYC thread. :D

Congrats! A CAG was one of the birds I was looking at. I setteled on a eclectus, but I know one day, I will own a CAG. This will be the longest week of your life...waiting for Trixie.
Scott

I talked with my Avian vet today, and he told me to wait at least a month before I brought her in to see him for a well check, as long as she acts and looks healthy. He wants her to settle in with me and her new environment before she makes her 1st visit to him. I'll probably go pick her up next Monday.

Instead of counting sheep we count birds. As most of the forum members know I have a timneh and I would love to have a CAG..
It is rate to haveone up for adoption so I will have to go the other way. Have fun with your new lovie and have you picked out a name yet?

"Her" name is Trixie, but her owner thinks she may actually be a male. Trixie does say her name, so if I found out she is actually a he, I was thinking of the name Ricky (it sounds kind of like Trixie). Do you think that would work?

Birds really don't care whether their name is a boy name or girl name, however if you want to try and change it, it's up to you. And congratualtions on your new grey. They're lots of fun since my cousin had one. I miss that bird so much

Birds really don't care whether their name is a boy name or girl name, however if you want to try and change it, it's up to you. And congratualtions on your new grey. They're lots of fun since my cousin had one. I miss that bird so much

That's what I was thinking; Trixie should probably remain Trixie! :p

"Her" name is Trixie, but her owner thinks she may actually be a male. Trixie does say her name, so if I found out she is actually a he, I was thinking of the name Ricky (it sounds kind of like Trixie). Do you think that would work?

HAHA been there;). Had my tiel - Buddy 2 years before I new he was actually a she. I thought maybe just extend the name - buddiena lol. But no, she remained buddy, It didn't make sense to change her name, it would have felt weired.

Most Reactions

Back