I can't choose between an African Grey and a Galah

Luan

Jul 23, 2024
Parrots
Used to have (at my parents' house): Ara Ararauna, 2 African Grey, 1 Amazon, 2 Cockatiels. Planning to adopt either a Galah parrot or an African grey now that I have my place.
Hello everyone,

I'm new here. My. name is Luan (m, 31), I live in Switzerland and a huge parrots lover. I've always been surrounded by parrots ever since I' was a Kid.
My parents did't want for us to have a dog or a cat so they suggested a bird. I was lucky enough to live near a old neighbor who took me in like her own grandson and I had to prove myself to her and my parents that I could take care of birds helping her, which I did. This lady not only trained me to take care of parrots and other birds, but she made sure I inherit her love for parrots. She wasn't my biological grandmother but she did act like one. After we adopted our first parrot... the love of parrots spread to the whole family... we started with a couple of budgerigars (I think that's the correct translation, English isn't my first language). We ended up adopting an Ara Ararauna, a blue-fronted amazon, 2 African greys and 2 cockatiels.

Some are still alive, some sadly passed away after a very good life but now that I have my own place... I miss my feathered friends... and my parents won't let me have one of theirs! Funny how the roles have changed, They love their birds and wouldn't and couldn't leave them.

I now have a stable job, a nice place with a big balcony where I can build an outdoor cage for the summer. I will be living in an apartment complex so I'm looking for a specie that isn't a screamer (or not too much). I've found a non profit organisation that breeds parrots here, the younglings, after they get out of the egg, stay 2 to 3 weeks with their parents not to destabilize them. After that, they are fed by the breeder and kept in one of those machine that keeps them warm. They use different formulas depending on the age of the young bird so it gets the right nutrients. Once they are bigger, they are moved to a big room/cage (very big) with other birds and are still fed by the breeder but are little by little pushed to feed themselves. They sell the birds once they are 3.5 to 4 months old.

The place was clean, they had Ara Hyacinth (first time seeing them, they are a view to behold)... anyway, the breeder told me they currently have:

- African grey parrots born 2 weeks ago that will be ready in september
- Galah parrots (usual and Latino) born 2 weeks ago that will be ready in september

They also have Galah parrots that are already old enough to be adopted as well as Blue-winged macaw.

I just don't know which one to chose. I love the small macaw but their scream was so loud that I would get fired by my landlord so that's a no. So I have to choose between a galah or an African Grey.

I know the main differences between the two species. The Galah being a cockatoo is louder but the ones I saw today were very calm, loving and looking to be pet. As you know, greys are more shy and calm. They are also more demanding in attention and are very sensitive.

I have enough time for my parrot as I'll be working from home most of the time. The price is the same so it's not an issue about finance. The fact is I know how different those species are but I just can't make up my mind.

If you own one or the other of those birds, would you be so kind as telling me what you like with your bird ? What kind of quirky behavior they have makes you love them even more ? Do you have any idea on how to make sure I take the "right birds". The thing is with the Galah, I've met the adult one and I know we have a good relationship already. The grey being a baby, it's too early to know what kind of personality he will grow to be.

What about their sex/gender ? Is there a difference in both of these birds with behavior ?

If I take the Galah, I think I'm going with the adult one (4 months) but if I take the grey, I'm going to wait for him to be ready.

I'm sorry for my very vague message. I just can't make my mind...

Thanks,

Luan

If you have lots of parrot experience and are financially stable and will give a great life, why choose only one??

GET BOTH!

Hope you really know what you are taking on. Both species have the high possibility of being quite loud, the cockatoo more so. Both species have the possibility of becoming neurotic if they are not given enough one on one time and copious amounts of mental stimulation. Personally I would go with the Grey. Good luck!

Hello

Thank you for your inputs. The reason I don't want to adopt two parrots is because I know that one bird is a huge commitment already. Though I've got a lifetime of experience, I should not forget that the parrots I had at my parents' were taken care by the whole family. Each member of the family had their chemistry with a bird and we had a great dynamic.

This will be the first time I'll be on my own. I'd rather start with one and adopt another later than having to part ways with one of the two.

I love parrots... If I listened to myself, I'd adopt a dozen of them but I do know they require great care and time.

In addition, the breeder told me that from his past experience, these two species don't go along well. A cockatoo is usually hyperactive while the grey is more calm. Now I know each individual has their own personality but I find this observation to be true. I can really see a grey being stressed out by a cockatoo. The breeder told me he now separates them because the galah wouldn't let the greys alone.

I've decided to adopt an African Grey. The galah is more at risk of being loud and in my experience, I loved playing with the greys in the sense that they rather play puzzle games, like being challenged and though they demand a large amount of attention and things not to get bored, they are in my opinion more independent and capable of just sitting near you and be content to just be there with you.

I often compare a cockatoo with a Labrador and a grey like a cat.

I will get the bird mid September (a male probably, they haven't been tested so I chose him on the size only).

I will transform half of my balcony in a "cage" with a frame attached to the door/window so the bird can get outside whenever he wants.

Any tips on what wood and material to use to create that outdoor "cage" ? I have a size of 3.5 X 1.7 me and 2m of height.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back