how to set boundaries?

friendcaique

Oct 18, 2015
Australia
Parrots
Hoping for a Budgie!
Hi everyone. i am doing tons of research on caiques but i don't know how to set boundaries. i have heard there can be problems if you don't set them early on but how do you set them?

All advice is appreciated :):)

Hi,

I've no experience of Caique's but lots with the larger Parrots (own/owned around 23). For me, the issue is best summarised by the well known phrase 'the pecking order' and this holds true throughout the animal (and probably) human kingdom! Your bird will gradually try and assert or at the least test your dominance and you can't afford to drop a point here. If they feel they are in charge whatever your size you have a big problem!! I adore Parrots and I wouldn't be without one, but you need to get the 'pecking order' right and keep getting it right.

One of the best (and most useful) ways to assert your position as 'head of the flock' is via toilet training :) The idea is that your bird has to go to the toilet before being allowed out of the cage (no matter how much noise he makes). The benefits of running this (and using a consistent command line of 'Go to the toilet Blue' or simply'Toilets Blue!' - Blue is my Hyacinth) are enormous.

a) Your bird knows it must go to the toilet (and do what you say) before it can come out so you have established dominance

b) When you take your bird out and now it knows the command and what it needs to do, he/she will soon learn that going to the toilet on you/in certain places is not great and you're well on the way to having a House trained Parrot too!!

How do you start the game? Well, make a note of the last time your bird 'pooed' and try and work out the interval (for Blue its between 20 - 25 mins). Wait until you are close to the next 'slot' :)-) and your bird is in the cage. Command the bird to Toilets and then wait, as soon as the bird does 'it' go to mega praise and let out!

Repeat for between 1 - 2 months CONSISTENTLY and you have a bird which accepts your authority AND is house trained!! Works wonders :)

Now for the fun bit:

[ame="https://youtu.be/8sjsYsBRn3c"]Blue; Playtime with Daddy! - YouTube[/ame]

Take care

Mark

Hi and thanks so much for the advice. but i was wondering because people said that sometimes the bird wont go until you are there and telling it to go. I it true and if so how do you stop it ?

My take on it is this: You set boundaries with a parrot the same way you set boundaries with a human toddler...

The bird gives you attitude, and pulls a no, I don't wanna. You pick him up, and physically remove him from the situation. THAT'S YES!

If you back down when the bird pulls a no, I don't wanna, that reinforces the I don't have to if I don't wanna...

And the bird acts up more.

NO has to mean NO!

This is also true because it can become a 'battle of wills' (I'm having one now as he is refusing to 'do it'). Friends came around and I so wanted him to come out but he just refused and is still refusing!! So you know what? He's still there in his cage and my friends have gone disappointed :-( But until he 'poo's there's no way I ceding dominance and believe me nature eventually wins if you have the patience :)

O.K. he's out now - finally did it when my back was turned (but in the room) so mega praise and sitting on my shoulder having fuss! Must have been another 10 minutes after the last post :) Persevere!!!

Birdman, this is right, no means no!! but what you didn't mention was that this also applies to Wives!! (and good luck with that! :) God created all birds equal but you can only control the ones with feathers!!!! (and toilet training is where to start - with your Parrot that is) :)

My take on it is this: You set boundaries with a parrot the same way you set boundaries with a human toddler...

The bird gives you attitude, and pulls a no, I don't wanna. You pick him up, and physically remove him from the situation. THAT'S YES!

If you back down when the bird pulls a no, I don't wanna, that reinforces the I don't have to if I don't wanna...

And the bird acts up more.

NO has to mean NO!

I do know this to be true for fact (seen it in my previous bird), but I swear Parker just defies common obedience training dogma. Half the time (meaning could be every other request, multiple times an hour), he just does not get up and I leave him be. But unlike other birds, this disobedience of sorts doesn't escalate to other behavioral issues. trying hard to define it, but it defies description. Closest I can say is it's more like an old man set in his ways rather than a human toddler testing his boundaries.

And Parrots like all of us do get set in their ways :) They love routine and of course lots of attention to boot :) Blue now happily preening himself on my shoulder - so one small step for mankind I suppose all for a humble poo . .

Birdman, this is right, no means no!! but what you didn't mention was that this also applies to Wives!! (and good luck with that! :) God created all birds equal but you can only control the ones with feathers!!!! (and toilet training is where to start - with your Parrot that is) :)

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE... :p

hi guys. it sounds like the potty training is great. but i already asked if there would be a major problem with her only going when i'm there to tell her to go.

Last edited:
You don't set boundaries...

Instead, you teach the bird what you want them to do and make sure to pair the desired behavior with a reward.

In other words, instead of teaching the bird "What not to do", you teach them "What to do". The more you teach a bird "What to do" and reward them for that behavior, the less likely they are to do the undesired behavior.

Therefore, no need to set any boundaries. The bird will do as you want them to do because they want to do it, too! NOT because they have to! :)

Enjoyed that. Setting boundaries for a caique? LOL

Good luck with that. Its a wild animal and doesnt give a fig for your boundaries.

What is it the French horseman said in the Monthy Python sketch?. " Hah, I break wind in your general direction!"

a caique will break wind in the general direction of your orders, instructions, and silly commands.

your only hope is DISTRACTION!

but i am still asking about if i potty train him that he will only go when i tell him, how do i stop it?

Hi Buddy,

I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll try and cover off all bases :)

Getting the bird to go to the toilet BEFORE you allow him out of the cage everytime will build up your authority (and reduce mess to clear)

If he won't go when you're they're, stay in the room and read a book until he does - then go to mega praise!! Believe me, he can't wait forever :)

This is going to take at least a month if not more and you must always use the same words (whatever you choose) and the praise needs to be completely over the top!

Finally, the fact that he poos when you're not there doesn't matter, he just knows that in order to come out and play he has to do it! This is about establishing your control and the bird learning to do what you ask as much as toilet training. After a while, you can extend this to get him to go to the toilet by command outside of the cage (Blue does) BUT you have to be aware of his physical limits and always give him the opportunity before his biological clock lets him down.

Good luck

Mark

but i am still asking about if i potty train him that he will only go when i tell him, how do i stop it?

This is the danger. he may hold it until he gets a cue from you. This is not healthy

What IS this human obsession with faeces?. Get over it and leave the bird be a bird, naturally

Great response re faeces!! Love it. Birds are far too intelligent to 'hold on' forever especially if there is only praise and not punishment!! Nature will takes it's course whatever you do, like a river that runs down a slope, you cannot stop it but you can divert it to water your garden on the way down and so everyone wins. This is reward training and positive praise. It works and it's safe - trust me - but yes the faeces is the least important part of my advice!! Thanks Irishj9 - you really made me smile :)

i was only worried that he might have to hold it in for 7 hours because i am at school for 7 hours!help

:) If he manages that then make sure you've got a web cam on 'the job' as you'll be able to enter him into the Guinness Book of Records :)

Top man! You don't need to worry just be consistent and offer loads of love and encouragement at all times.

Mark

Im guessing that if he knows it okay to go only in the cage, i guess he will be fine. The Guiness book of world records thing is funny LOL!:):)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back