Hope I Didn't Make Big Mistake

stony

Aug 7, 2015
Because my bird is alone, well has dog for company, I decided to get him a friend. He is not tame and panics if I need to enter cage. I was going to take my time, I wanted a good breeder who hand fed their babies. I wanted the new bird to be tame. last night I walked in to a big chain pet store right before closing time. They had a bright yellow parakeet, that was love at 1st sight. Next thing I knew we where in car heading home. Only thing I did right was put both birds in flight cage together, I had been waiting to move my old bird to new cage.

Yikes. I would be more worried about disease. Not long ago, birds were taken out of some big name chain pet stores due to a psittacosis outbreak, which is not only contagious to other birds but to humans, as well. You should always QT a new bird at the very least (I disease test, too). I'd remove that new bird and QT it in another location or the furthest location from your existing flock. I'll hope for the best.

Oh!! Think its to late, they have spent the night together. Didn't think a pet shop would sell a animal that could get a person sick. Sounds like could be a major lawsuit. How do I know if myself or bird as Psittacosis?

Hi Stony :)
So you have two budgies now? It still wouldn't hurt to separate them, given it sounds like you have too cages. That will give you the chance to bond with the other one, in a different space to your first.

Yes I have a small cage I bought, when I first found my parakeet. When I couldn't find the owner I got a much larger flight cage. I don't think bonding going to be problem, Cage is huge every time I enter room they are next to each other grooming each other. I am much more worried about disease, to both myself and my dog. The pet shop had large sign about only banded birds can be sold, where to report unbanded birds but nothing about disease.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back