Help with barbering on back and shoulders

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi,

I just want to say before I elaborate that I would greatly appreciate if we could avoid attacking or lecturing me about getting a bird during high school. There was a lot of though put into it, a whole 2-3 years worth of planning, and my whole family was and is on board and assisting with care and making a huge effort while I am in college. Thank you.

So, I recently left for college and am the bird's (kure) favorite person and was her main caretaker. Due to my families schedule she is not getting out as much as she was before, and when she is out she tends to not want to do training or more mentally stimulating activities. When I came home after a month for break I noticed what seems to be slight barbering on her shoulders and back. I assume it is from boredom I am looking for advise on how to combat this and hopefully stop it before it gets serious or turns into plucking. She has plenty of toys in her cage and seems to be playing with them at least some based on their level of deterioration. I really do not want to rehome her. I am trying to get my own place where my college is asap so I can have her with me, or possibly get her certified as an ESA, but I don't think that a dorm is the best place for a bird. Should my parents continue to try training even though she is completely uninterested? Any advise is welcome.

I attached pictures of her barbering(not sure how well they will show up)
IMG_7461.jpeg
IMG_7462.jpeg
IMG_7464.jpeg
, could it just be the feathers are old? It does seem minimal at the moment.

Not sure my recommendations would be acceptable as one or another may push a hot button or two..

Parrots barber because they are bored, suffer a skin infections and/or are not receiving a bath often enough. Also, dry climates can be an issue.

What a beautiful baby!

Okay, I see a little potential barbering there, so good on you for recognizing it and asking questions, and trying to remedy whatever the cause is quickly. I'm no expert, but I have experience with pluckers and barberers, so I'll throw in my two cents.

Parrots are very much creatures of habit, and thrive on consistent routine. So, consider that her world has been turned upside down with you leaving. Not the end of the world, but it represents a huge change for her. Hopefully, her "new normal" will become acceptable for her, and she finds better ways to use her energy. Boredom can definitely contribute to it, as can other issues mentioned above. If your family is willing, I would definitely have them continue with training, but not force it on her. Just start slowly, and do things that make it interesting to her. Likely, they'll have to start at the very beginning, just like you did. They're not you, so the trust game begins at ground zero, you know?

I do have thoughts on ESAs. While I agree that having an emotional support animal is helpful to many people, I hate the fact that anyone can go to a random website, fill out a form, and print a bogus "certificate" that they think is official. (For whatever fee they charge) There is no legitimate certification for that. It's a way for unscrupulous people to make money by preying on the emotionally fragile/entitled crowd, and even still, an ESA does NOT have the rights that an actual service animal does as far as living with you, traveling, or allowance into stores, restaurants, etc. that don't allow animals. Save your money.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back