eigethedeige

Sep 28, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
I need to know whether this greenish yellow spot around where the umbilical cord was indicates infection or if this is normal in a baby that hatched 24 hours ago??

Bit of background: I have two green cheeks that have so far laid four clutches of eggs.
Until now, they incubated them and raised them the first two weeks or so before I would pull them and hand feed.
My girl isā€¦odd. She picks the weirdest places to lay eggs in their very large cage. USUALLY she lays them on the bottom if sheā€™s ignoring the nesting box, but she has used the box fully once.
For some reason on this last clutch, she kept moving spots at weird times and abandoning eggs. Like she would sit on them long enough for them to start growing, and about halfway through sheā€™d move to a new spot and lay new eggs, so we were losing the ones growing, and she was laying eggs for like a month and a half.
Finally, after she abandoned the most recent ones, I broke down and bought an incubator and moved the remaining eggs in there. This was about a month ago.
The first one tried to hatch two days ago. It had pipped when I went to candle them to check if they were still going, because I wasnā€™t sure if they would survive to hatching because of the way she abandoned them and temps and stuff. Iā€™m not sure what happened to it, but it ended up dying. I tried to assist the hatching, too late apparently (about 12 hours after I noticed the pips), and it had passed sometime during then. I opened it just to be sure and there were blood spots and partial yolk so Iā€™m guessing it was underdeveloped or injured itself or something.
Before anyone gets mad at me, I HAVE raised a couple babies at only a couple days old, but again, this is my first time using the incubator and raising them from hatching, so please be patient with me.
I have SCOURED the internet researching but I keep coming up with information for babies that are older than newborns, when youā€™re normally supposed to pull and raise them.
I also communicate with our bird store here in town and they gave me instructions on what to do if I did end up hatching them via incubator and they did warn it was gonna be tough.
Anyway, back to the issue.
The second oldest one JUST hatched night before last. Itā€™s about 40 hours old as of writing this. Baby has been dubbed Slightly (Peter Pan Lost Boys, I name my animal baby batches after fandoms to keep track of lineage and such)
I TRIED to see if the parents would take care of it after it hatched but they just kinda looked at it curiously and then ignored it. Theyā€™re currently laying another clutch of eggs so maybe they just think theyā€™re done with this one. Idfk, this is the first time Iā€™ve been in this specific situation.
Weā€™ve been feeding psittacus baby formula every hour to hour and a half (waiting for the crop to be completely empty to avoid yeast infections), keeping it in the incubator for temp and humidity control, and itā€™s very vocal and moves around A LOT. I didnā€™t know they moved this much this young because Kana (my female) was always sitting on them being a good mom.
When Slightly hatched it weighed about .12 oz, yesterday at about 20 hours it weighed .16 and today after a feeding it went back down to .14. Also when it hatched, it was stuck to the membrane and I had to help it a tiny bit. It was only stuck to one spot on its head but it was stuck enough it couldnā€™t fully open the shell the way it was trying to.
All veins were gone, yolk was absorbed, but there was droppings in the shell, which again, because this is my first time raising from hatching, Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s normal? And itā€™s kinda why Iā€™m concerned there might be an infection. While trying to hatch it ended up kicking the droppings around and got covered in it and while I tried to clean it up gently once it fully hatched, I didnā€™t wanna injure it or pull on the cord or anything.
The umbilical cord is gone, but there is a yellowish mark around where it was and Iā€™m not sure if I should be concerned.
If anyone can tell me if this is normal I would greatly appreciate it. Iā€™m trying super hard to keep Slightly alive, and theyā€™ve got at least two more siblings in the clutch that are still growing, so I just wanna ease whatā€™s probably just a version of new parent anxiety so I know what to do/avoid doing and give these guys their best shot.
I will include as many photos and videos as this thread will allow and am open to answering any questions, but the belly is my main concern.
Iā€™m gonna try to post a video of it attempting to hatch where you can see the droppings in the shell so maybe that helps? Iā€™ve got a screenshot from the video if I canā€™t get it to upload where you can see the green droppings both in front of and behind its head after it was struggling for a bit.
Like I said, I do have a local bird store here thatā€™s been helping me but theyā€™re closed till Monday and I donā€™t know if I can chill out till then šŸ˜…
IMG_8140.jpeg
IMG_8139.jpeg
IMG_8144.jpeg
IMG_8139.jpeg
IMG_8057.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8143.png
    IMG_8143.png
    389 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8144.jpeg
    IMG_8144.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0