Help to tame my ringneck

AngeliqueK

Oct 1, 2024
Parrots
Ringneck
Lovebird
Kakeriki
Hi there,

I am new to this page and I have read some good tips on how to tame my ringneck.
However, my biggest issue is, I work a 10 hour day shift away from home. Currently my ringneck is outside in his cage with all my other birds. I have tried to keep him inside the house to let him get used to us. I got him from a friend who had him for about a year and before that, he had different owners. I don't have much of his history, but what I do know is, that he never had a relationship with any of them. I have noticed that one of his wings is clipped, amd he totally freaks out when I clean his cage or give him food. I try very had to be quiet and suddle movements, but I don't seem to be improving on my efforts. Any suggestions?

Welcome and be welcomed.

To be frank, ringnecks are notorious for being difficult to tame, and for backsliding to an almost wild state if the daily interaction is not kept up. With a 10 hr away from home daily schedule, it going to be extremely difficult to tame and keep tamed this ringneck parrot. Lots and lots of sitting quietly as close to his cage as you can, without upsetting him, and gradually over time (could be months) moving closer and closer to his cage, to begin with. Offer plentiful amounts of his favorite treat thru the cage bars if he'll take them. Patience and then more patience is needed.

Most Reactions

Back