HELP! My male IRN losing his tail :(

Anaria

Jul 1, 2024
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
2 Indian ringnecks
My male IRN Tiko has lost the majority of his tail feathers over the last few days :( and I have no idea why…. He’s roughly 9 months old and this has happened out of nowhere. I have another female IRN and her tail is fine.

Is this normal moulting?? Should I be taking him to the vet? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpeg
    IMG_0213.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0217.jpeg
    IMG_0217.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 25
oh no, poor tiko! i'm not an expert, but that sounds pretty sudden for molting. maybe keep an eye on him for a few days? if he seems distressed or loses more feathers, a vet visit might be a good idea. hope he feels better soon!

oh no, poor tiko! i'm not an expert, but that sounds pretty sudden for molting. maybe keep an eye on him for a few days? if he seems distressed or loses more feathers, a vet visit might be a good idea. hope he feels better soon!
Thank you for the advice! I’m a relatively new bird mum so I haven’t been through a “moulting season” yet. I did just get back from a week holiday (husband was looking after the birds) so no idea if they fell naturally or he’s picked them. Will keep an eye on him for sure! Xx

My male IRN Tiko has lost the majority of his tail feathers over the last few days :( and I have no idea why…. He’s roughly 9 months old and this has happened out of nowhere. I have another female IRN and her tail is fine.

Is this normal moulting?? Should I be taking him to the vet? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Pics attached.
well my parrot olso did the same thing before molting unfortunately for me it molted right after i bought it its tail was cut by i do not who would do such a thing but it did have a 2-3 long feathers at the back it bit them of before growing a new one i do not know if it is the same situation but it could be hope this helps

Most Reactions

Back