Help identify gender

ambimeigh

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiels
Can someone please help me identify the most likely gender of my 2 year 3 month old pearl cockatiel? Their name is Sunny! Sunny arrived at my home 2 days ago but the previous parent did not know the gender. I have a gray cockatiel, and his name is Petrie and he is very much a male. Their behavior is different, but I do not know if this is due to Sunny being in the new environment.

Attachments

• IMG_4812.jpeg
    IMG_4812.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4810.jpeg
    IMG_4810.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4784.jpeg
    IMG_4784.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4783.jpeg
    IMG_4783.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4807.jpeg
    IMG_4807.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4785.jpeg
    IMG_4785.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 25
It's always hard to tell it's sex at that age but if I had to guess I would say male.
Also any differences in your other birds behaviour would almost certainly be because of the new one. Give them time and hopefully they'll be friends

Last edited:
Can someone please help me identify the most likely gender of my 2 year 3 month old pearl cockatiel? Their name is Sunny! Sunny arrived at my home 2 days ago but the previous parent did not know the gender. I have a gray cockatiel, and his name is Petrie and he is very much a male. Their behavior is different, but I do not know if this is due to Sunny being in the new environment.
Looks like male to me

I appreciate the help. I assumed that over 2 years old would have been easier to tell. Thank you so much

From what I know pearl males loose their "pearls" - so I'm a bit confused about their genders...

From what I know pearl males loose their "pearls" - so I'm a bit confused about their genders...
Sometimes they keep them. It's quite rare that they do, but not impossible.
Although a blood test would be most accurate to confirm its gender

Looks like a cinnamon pearl female to me! Let us know when your DNA comes back!

Iā€™m also on the same boatā€¦ I have a DNA confirmed 3 1/2 month female gray pied and a 5 week old cinnamon pearl that I suspect is male but will be doing the DNA this week.

I can see differences in their faces and definitely in behaviors. Heā€™s already displayed head bobbing, strutting, tapping, and showing off. Something my female has never done!

Ricky on the left / Lucy on the right:

IMG_2932.jpeg
Ricky:
IMG_2909.jpeg

Lucy:
IMG_2856.jpeg

I will definitely update you on the the gender. Lucy and Ricky are so cute. Thank you for sharing!

looks male

But google "Bird DNA testing florida" it's like 15 bucks for 100% certainty

Sunny is a female! I just wanted to let everyone know. We got her DNA results from the Bird store she was originally purchased from by the previous owner.
She is so sweet and perfect! I appreciate all the help.

Sunny is a female! I just wanted to let everyone know. We got her DNA results from the Bird store she was originally purchased from by the previous owner.
She is so sweet and perfect! I appreciate all the help.
Oh congrats! I knew it! I just mailed out my Rickyā€™s DNA sample today so I should know sometime this week!

Good luck! It does sound like heā€™s a male. What you described is exactly how my male Petrie is.

Oh my goodness! She will still be so much fun!
Yes sheā€™s the best! But I already have another female (Lucy) šŸ˜‚ I was really hoping for a boy! Guess Iā€™m off to find a boy tomorrow for my final attempt lol

Yes sheā€™s the best! But I already have another female (Lucy) šŸ˜‚ I was really hoping for a boy! Guess Iā€™m off to find a boy tomorrow for my final attempt lol
I hope you are able to get your boy. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back