HELP - 6 Weeks Old Galah's Beak

See, those supposedly cracks were nothing but dried up formula.....lol.... his toes are fine as they're mainly used to grip. Start perch train him right now to get him used to gripping things. He looks great otherwise. :)

What a cutie pie! :) Congrats on your baby!

It truly does look as if he was never cleaned properly after handfeeding. His beak is spotless now, but it looks as if there's a bunch of crusty, old formula over the side and top of his cute face.

Try using a moist, warm towel or even a VERY soft NEW toothbrush which you can dunk into warm water to get some of that crust off, and he'll look like new in no time. :D

He's really adorable and as cute as ever! Nice to see that it was just a bunch of dried up formula and nothing harmful!

If all the back toes are the same, I would say that's normal, or at least normal for him... although I've never really studied a galah's feet.

Thank you everyone for your contribution :)

He seems happier and settling in well, as mentioned he still a little clumsy on his feet but he is slowly getting a hang of his new cage.

Will be getting him some new toys this weekend and give him a proper clean soon. Will also book him in next weekend to see a Vet for a quick checkup to make sure he is a healthy boy!

Here is a photo of little Charlie flapping his wings...

charlie%20flaps.JPG

We are still currently syringe feeding Charlie, any tips (or signs) as to when to stop hand feeding and let little Charlie eat on his own?

I have left a bowl of seeds in his cage but it doesnt seem like he is too interested however today, I left a bowl of lettuce and carrot in his cage, will see if he touched any of the vege once I get home :)

Ken

You can start feeding soft food, fruits & veggies, plus pellets for him to play with. Just give small amount. To me I find it easier to wean IF you allow them to eat off the bottom. That's how they forage out in the wild. Once they mature a bit and fully weaned, then you can place the grates back on the bottom of the cage. So it's best to keep the bottom cleaned out often.

Here is a concerning question,

I feed little Charlie before I go to work in the morning around 6:30am and then leave him be until I get back around 6:30pm so he is left without food for 12 hours (but I leave fresh vege and some seed around the cage thou I suspect he does not have the ability to feed himself yet)

The problem is the person I bought it from told me to feed him approx. 10ml of food each sitting and she told me she has been feeding the galah lorikeet powder mix mixed with water into a porridge like consistency. BUT it appears that little Charlie looks REALLY hungry by the time I get home and I have been feeding him 15 - 20ml worth of the mix.

Either,

1. The mix is bit too diluted that he is not getting enough food,

2. Or 10 - 15ml is not enough food for him. I been searching around for volume of food to feed a baby galah but there isn't much on the net as a guide as to how much baby galah eats

I will be monitoring his feces a little closer in the coming days.

Ahhh.. a little confused and worried! but he seems happy after food.. Fingers crossed!!

Do you have a digital scale for Charlie? He should eat about 10% of his body weight at each feeding. :) The formula needs to be warmed properly to the correct temperature.

Do you have a digital scale for Charlie? He should eat about 10% of his body weight at each feeding. :) The formula needs to be warmed properly to the correct temperature.

Charlie is approx 220g. I weighed him a few minutes ago after food. I will prepare the food according to weigh tomorrow by the looks of it.

I am bit worried that the food may be abit too hot for him, is there a quick way to make sure that it doesn't burn him? I have read that if the formula is too hot to touch its probably too hot but still a little worried it may burn him.

I am bit worried that the food may be abit too hot for him, is there a quick way to make sure that it doesn't burn him? I have read that if the formula is too hot to touch its probably too hot but still a little worried it may burn him.

A thermometer would be helpful. But yes, if it's too hot to touch, it will be too hot in his crop. You don't want to burn his crop. Try feeding between 105-110 degrees (Fahrenheit).

A thermometer would be helpful. But yes, if it's too hot to touch, it will be too hot in his crop. You don't want to burn his crop. Try feeding between 105-110 degrees (Fahrenheit).

Thanks for that :) How many time do you need to feed a 6 - 10 week old galah? I fed him couple of hours ago and now he is making that "I am hungry baby cry again!!

Thanks for that :) How many time do you need to feed a 6 - 10 week old galah? I fed him couple of hours ago and now he is making that "I am hungry baby cry again!!

How many times you have to feed him depends on much/well he munches on his own. The scale will help you with this. :) Keeping record of his weight is a good idea as well. Weigh him first thing in the morning, BEFORE feeding him his first meal.

I'd say if he's 6 weeks, then 3 syringe feedings per day. If he's 10 weeks, 2 should be enough - again, it all depends on how much he eats on his own.

I'd say if he's 6 weeks, then 3 syringe feedings per day. If he's 10 weeks, 2 should be enough - again, it all depends on how much he eats on his own.

I have a feeling he is not eating much when I am at work. I might weigh everything :p that would give me a little idea.

Thanks for the help!! Booked him in to see the vet but that's not for another week and a half :(

Ken

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back