Dec 3, 2010
california
Parrots
mexican red head amazon
hello im new to this forum!

I have a red head amazon that I just got and is 5 months old :green1:
heard this forum is the best

I still have to dna test him/her to see if its a male or female

but my amazon actually wants to bite me everytime I want to pick it up with my finger is there a way to train him so he/she wont bit me?
and also can you tell if there is a difference between a male and a female is coloration?

much help would be appreciated
thank you!:)

Hello and Welcome from another newcomer. I have been on this forum for a while now, but my first baby doesn't come home to me until 1 week from Saturday. I am very excited (and pretty nervous)... This is a very nice Forum with kind and very knowledgable people. I know someone will offer you some advice very soon. I'll be watching as well for some new tips... Best of luck! Will.

Welcome to the forum! :D

You have come to the right place! Amazons are known for their "moodiness" and can indeed be nippy.

I am no expert in these gorgeous birds but a few of our members have them and will be glad to help I'm sure. The wonderful Sharon C has the beautiful Freddie and she is so so SO good with him.

The same rules apply to any bird that has been brought home. Lots of patience, talking and respect are needed. Everything is new for your fid (feathered kid) and you must remember this with everything you do. Concentrate on building your relationship with trust and take it very slowly. Stepping up is not the first step...it is actually a few weeks down the line.

Talk out loud, think out loud, read. Spend a lot of time beside the cage but don't try and force physical contact. You can try feeding a treat like a sunflower seed through the bars but don't be surprised if your bird takes a while to respond.

It is a long, slow process to earn your relationship with a bird and forcing situations upon him when he isn't ready to trust you can cause untold damage. Especially with the "uppity" amazon.

I would advise that you get yourself a book. Parrots for dummies is great. A species specific book is beneficial too. These will teach you the basics including how to make sure your bird is fed correctly with pellets, nuts and only a few seeds plus plenty of fruit and veg. No peanuts or dried fruit which contains sulpher dioxide - a poison to a bird. Feeding requirements being mety doesn't only ensure a healthy bird, but you have an increased improvement in temprement.

Books will also teach you how to parrot proof your home, how to avoid deathly accidents via PTFE and lead poisoning as well as many others.

I would suggest that you take your bird to an avian vet too if you haven't already to get a check up to ensure all is tip top. They can also clip your fids nails and wings if you wish.

I'm sorry if you're already aware of a lot of points I have just written already, but I am always so concientious of guests to the forum as well as replying to the OP :D

Have you decided on a name yet?
Oh and we LOVE pictures so please do post some :D!

This will assist any member who can help with sexing too if possible!

Good luck!

You mentioned heard this forum is the best I agree

Von has given you fantastic info, (I taught you well Von) Joking, High Five Von, great tips.

Top on your list, a visit to an avian vet is a must. Let the bird be checked over, peace of mind for a healthy bird.
Your bird must have time to settle down and adjust. Just imagine how many new things the bird has encountered. So many new faces and voices, it must be so scary.
To gain your trust could take days, a few weeks, no one can estimate the time.

Each and every bird is so different. He obviously feels a comfort zone is his cage.
Sit near the cage, talking and singing to the bird. Let him become familiar with your voice. Leaving the cage door open, offer him treats through the bars at first. When he willingly accepts them, try placing a treat near the open door. Eventually he will starts taking the treats from the door, make no attempt to touch him. When he does come out, he will probably climb around on the cage. Let him explore in his own time. To get him back in, place a treat inside the cage, making sure it's visible.
Please keep us updated with his progress
Take care and have fun on the forum.

Last edited:
You DID teach me well Ant, I'm almost as good at talking back what you taught me as Mishka is now hahahah!

xxxxx

You've been given GREAT advice already, so I have nothing to add. Amazons can be moody and unpredictable. Take it slow as far as handling goes. The only time that I handled Fred when he first came was when I needed him to go to the sleep room. Even now, there are times when he says no. Once he's used to you, and trusts you, training will be so much easier.

thanxs everybody for the help I plan to take him/her to the vet on saturday to get a check up.

No advise to add, I think everyone else covered it...just Welcome!

I second all the advice. All I can say is patience, patience, patience with Amazons. They will not do something they do not want to do and it takes time for them to learn to trust.
good luck :)

Most Reactions

Back