Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots
Indian Ringneck: Damien

RIP: Dempsey & Winston
Hi everyone!

Great forum, your threads are so very helpful to me and my boy Damien! He is my first parrot. It was silly of me but I kind of bought him on a whim; but it was whim I do not regret. I have learned so much since owning him, and I feel although a rocky start we're going to make some progress!

He's rather grumpy, and a tad evil.. hence the name. I was a complete noob with him, and with some worries it brought me here. But reading through all the forums has really helped. I just wanted to say thank you!

He doesn't like my rat, which is understandable, but it's funny because all my rat wants to do is be his friend, and see him; my rat Oskar is so relaxed, even when Damien screams at him he isn't phased. My new baby is going to have to learn that my old baby is here to stay hehe!

I am going to begin clicker training him soon I have discovered his love for satsumas (baby oranges) so I am reserving them for treats only now :) .
He is only about 6-7 months old, and is a biter. He screams to get his own way, but I endure it to show him he cant have his own way by screaming, he sorta gets it! I wish to tame him. I can't wait to teach him step up, and for him to trust me!

hello where abouts in uk?? lol

was he hand reared??

keep the rat away from him for now, your not goin to train him, build trust with him, do anything while he feels un comfortable/stressed

when does he scream? the most an what is he screaming for??

try pomegranet an as well but try not to feed skin or seed of any fruit to be safe/unless you have looked it up as some fruit have cynide etc in the seeds etc

chocolate/alcohol/caffine/advocado are a huge NO-NO

Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I'm w/Damien on the rat. lol Maybe when everyone is settled, they may bond. My sisters 'tiel bonded to a rabbit, they were insepartable for years. Enjoy your new boy.

was he hand reared??

keep the rat away from him for now, your not goin to train him, build trust with him, do anything while he feels un comfortable/stressed

try pomegranet an as well but try not to feed skin or seed of any fruit to be safe/unless you have looked it up as some fruit have cynide etc in the seeds etc

Hampshire :p
And I don't think so, the girl had bred a lot, she kinda tricked me over the phone. The advertisement said single bird needed rehoming, but it turned out she bred a lot and sold them all round. Which was a shame, but when I got him and saw him... I just couldn't say no.

Don't worry I keep him away from Oskar, it is Damien who flys on oskar's cage to stare at him, Oskar doesn't really care -usually asleep- The satsuma's I gave him were seedless. And he ate them from my hand rather contently.

He screams when he feels threatened, when he is approached. I don't tell him off for it. I endure it, and then he realises, screaming won't get him anywhere and he soon stops. I just put it down to him being rather vocal.

Oh I will most certainly try anything you suggest fruit wise. I want him to get a good appetite for different foods! :D

Thank you very much for the advice!

Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I'm w/Damien on the rat. lol Maybe when everyone is settled, they may bond. My sisters 'tiel bonded to a rabbit, they were insepartable for years. Enjoy your new boy.

D'awww If you met Oskar I am pretty sure he'd sway you his way, haha. He's old and fat and harmless.

That's reassuring to read, I hope they bond, or at least I hope Damien can tolerate Oskar at least. x3

And thank you for the welcome. :D

lol i am sure they will accept each other in time, but while the bird has such strong views over the rat, i personnally will keep the rat away or just prevent it from goin up to its cage for now lol and a rabbit although bigger then the rat, is not a preditory animal.

lol i am sure they will accept each other in time, but while the bird has such strong views over the rat, i personnally will keep the rat away or just prevent it from goin up to its cage for now lol and a rabbit although bigger then the rat, is not a preditory animal.

Yes I shall. I wouldn't want either of them to harm one another.

Damien is funny tho, he sits on top of oskar's cage and watches him eat; he seems curious by him but at the same time unsure / weary when Oskar see's him back. xP

aww if his already confidant at taking food from you your on good tracks :) especially for training, and if damians flyin to oskar, lol his checkin out his new flat mate lol i assumed from your 1st post that damian was screamin at oskar comin to visit him :)

how much out of cage time does damian get? does he fly to follow you about??

aww if his already confidant at taking food from you your on good tracks :) especially for training, and if damians flyin to oskar, lol his checkin out his new flat mate lol i assumed from your 1st post that damian was screamin at oskar comin to visit him :)

how much out of cage time does damian get? does he fly to follow you about??

I hope so. At first he used to snatch from me, but recently he's gotton a little more gentle. He still doesn't completely like me touching him in his cage. It takes a few moments of him threatening to bite me before he will let me touch his head/belly. Again I assume it's a trust issue so the more I sit with him and talk he'll grow more used to me.

He likes to watch me do my hair and make up. I always catch him in the mirror staring at me, lol!

Ahaha yes, I still don't trust how strong he is in comparison to Oskar. I felt his bite and almost cried, i'll never risk oskar being on the other end; if that makes sense. So I will never let him out the same time as Damien.

At first he used to scream at oskar when oskar approached him. Like propa screeching, but if Damien goes to Oskar not so much. So it's fine if it's on Damien's terms lol!

On a monday and thursday *my days off* he's practically out all morning 5+ hours, with the freedom to go in and out of his cage if he wishes. Any other day he has afternoons with the cage open so again 3-4+ hours until I go to bed.

*soooo much poop to clean up after him* Thankfully I have a scrubber on hand. I am dreading when I get my curtains over my blinds.

Also to answer your question, he flies away from me, never with me or too me. He tends to get up as high as he can to perch and stare. And if I walk near/ or approach him he'll fly away.

When I have been still long enough he'll come down lower, either on Oskar's cage, or my chest of draws to again stare at me. If I am to move to go to him or leave the room he flies away.

Last edited:
ok his cage, his territory/safe area try not to invade it till he trusts you better, even now depending on nuts mood, i wont put my hands in her cage, and today she beak butted my forehead as i was cleaing it lol she was on top of her cage

his definately interested in you but still un-sure thats why he flies from you, when he is out of the cage, slowly eat a plate of satsumas! etc offer him some, but do not go to him, his got to come to you, but let him take it away to eat :) if you dont have food, just carry on lettin him go to you, nice quiet chatty sounds your gonna sound like your cheese has slid of ya cracker, but its worth it.

lmao nut likes to un-hook my curtains, but she generally poops over her cage

oh don't feed pomgranet if your bird is out of cage, cos them poops stain!

out of cage time sounds fab :) has he got toys in his cage for when your out?? nut likes anything she can destroy! and bells lol oh an coins

ok his cage, his territory/safe area try not to invade it till he trusts you better, even now depending on nuts mood, i wont put my hands in her cage, and today she beak butted my forehead as i was cleaing it lol she was on top of her cage

his definately interested in you but still un-sure thats why he flies from you, when he is out of the cage, slowly eat a plate of satsumas! etc offer him some, but do not go to him, his got to come to you, but let him take it away to eat :) if you dont have food, just carry on lettin him go to you, nice quiet chatty sounds your gonna sound like your cheese has slid of ya cracker, but its worth it.

lmao nut likes to un-hook my curtains, but she generally poops over her cage

oh don't feed pomgranet if your bird is out of cage, cos them poops stain!

out of cage time sounds fab :) has he got toys in his cage for when your out?? nut likes anything she can destroy! and bells lol oh an coins

Ooo I will do that thanks!
We just bought loads of satsumas last friday so I can do that monday afternoon! I always chatter to him, I must sound crazy to anyone passing by my door but some of the head movement's he makes is soooo cute. He does a 'wtf' kinda stare at me when I talk to him.

I am hoping Damien learns to poo over his cage. I plan on buying or building *depending on how creative I feel* a little play gym thingeh to go on my chest of drawers, try and limit how long he stays ontop my curtains.

As for toys, thats the plan for monday. I literally only bought his cage last week, so I was left out of cash. I got paid today, so the plan is to buy better perches, and some more toys. I wanna get him that rope twisty perch thing from pets at home, he loves climbing around his cage so it seemed like a perfect Damien toy!

He has this bell toy, with these hoops in his cage for now. But not for much longer he is getting spoiled Monday! //His old cage was THAT crap it wasn't worth taking up the little space he had with toys; now using that old cage as a carry cage in case of future vet visits// *shameface*

And do you mean.. actual coins? Shall I just place them in his cage? Also I got Damien some balls to play with; he weren't too interested. He literally walked over to them.. and poked them... but then was more interested in Oskar's cage, and Oskar's hammock LOL!

:p

Ria, where in Hampshire are you? im in Southamton....and i did the same in buying a parrot on a whim and having a devil bird!!

Ria, where in Hampshire are you? im in Southamton....and i did the same in buying a parrot on a whim and having a devil bird!!

I'm in Gosport! I got my cage from Southampton! :D, yes I have learned I will never get a new pet I know nothing about until I do research!

Even tho he is a little terror you still gotta love em! Lol, we should exchange horror stories! :D

haha tell me about it, i bought Elsie in Poole, saw her advertised, next day went and got her, the bites,blood and screams have been a plenty! but all so worht it in a strange and satisfying way!!! x

haha tell me about it, i bought Elsie in Poole, saw her advertised, next day went and got her, the bites,blood and screams have been a plenty! but all so worht it in a strange and satisfying way!!! x

How long have you owned Elsie now? Are able to handle her without a battle?

I would guess about under a year, she has never had a problem with me myself, which infact is teh problem, i am her one and only and she savagely attacks ANYBODY who dares come near her, she gave it a few tries in attacking me but has learrnt other wise now!!

She is a bird that does nothing by the book and verfy hard to teach things to for that reason, so we are still figuring each other out day by day!

I would guess about under a year, she has never had a problem with me myself, which infact is teh problem, i am her one and only and she savagely attacks ANYBODY who dares come near her, she gave it a few tries in attacking me but has learrnt other wise now!!

She is a bird that does nothing by the book and verfy hard to teach things to for that reason, so we are still figuring each other out day by day!

So she falls into that group '1 person bird' I have tried to expose Damien to everyone who will be in his life long term/ Mainly my mum, my ex was one of those people; he bit my mum well hard once, but I did tell her not to put her hand in. Now when she is on parrot duty, she feeds and waters him and I have told her.. just sit and chat with him, no touching yet haha!

So to stop Damien biting me... I have to let him bite me.. and not react? BECAUSE THAT WAS BLOODY HARD! Or did Nut just.. work that out for herself? BTW, your pic of her and your dog is just too cute, she looks fearless!

lol there is that method, or mine, which is i screamed an showed great displeasure at being bit, cos it hurt and ignored her, not leave room, but i didn't let her on me, or i would tune my back to her and i avoided all bite incidents an would ask nut if she wanted to step up/head scratch etc

i still do, i never take it for granted what i want her to do, she might not want to do

i have to admit ellsie looks more confidant then the dog in the pic lol

lol there is that method, or mine, which is i screamed an showed great displeasure at being bit, cos it hurt and ignored her, not leave room, but i didn't let her on me, or i would tune my back to her and i avoided all bite incidents an would ask nut if she wanted to step up/head scratch etc

i still do, i never take it for granted what i want her to do, she might not want to do

i have to admit ellsie looks more confidant then the dog in the pic lol

I'm worried if I reacted Damien would get some twisted pleasure out of getting what he wanted lol, I don't think he has any morals! :p

and haha yes I agree, she really does!

:54::rolleyes:

was he hand reared??

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back