Hello from TN! Waterfowl owner getting into parrots!

CarolieP

Oct 19, 2015
Hello!

I live in middle Tennessee and have a passion for waterfowl, this spring I raised twenty geese through their first set of feathers and moved them onto a friend's pond at her new farm. Now that they are all gone, I am thinking I want to get into the parrot world!

We had a Cockatiel from when I was younger, but my oldest brother took him when he and his wife moved, and he died soon after. Other than that bird I have no experience with parrots, can anyone suggest some starter species?

I really like the look of the Conure types, would anyone recommend these as a first parrot?

Welcome :). I know exactly what you meant by 'starter species', but the idea behind what David (flboy) mentioned is that regardless of what species, they all deserve to be cared for and loved long term. Rather than starting out with a species that is easier to care for, then once one has more experience, to move on to larger or more challenging species and forget about the poor 'starter' guy. Not that you'd do that, but just explaining how many people view the term 'starter bird'.

I've had birds for quite some time, from tiny to larger species. My absolute favorites are the small/medium guys. In more recent years, I've really gotten into budgies which many people regard as a "starter bird". Not me :), and I hope to eventually get more English type.

As far as your question about Conures, many people have them as their first bird. Hanging around the forum, reading past threads in the different species sections, visiting bird stores and or rescues if any are in your area, should give you a general idea what the different species are like. There are so many different species to choose from! Good luck.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back