Hello, everybody! (Lots of photos!)

Mitchan

Jun 24, 2013
Sweden
Parrots
Meg the Indian Ringneck, Drogon the BF Amazon, Leia the Alexandrine, Donnie the YC Amazon
Hey there! I'm Michelle, and I live in Sweden with my two Senegal parrots, Miley and Alaska.
I've had Alaska for about a year and Miley for six months, but I grew up with Cockatiels and a Brown-headed parrot and I used to have a pretty little lovebird too.

Both of my Senegals were hand raised and lived as only birds their whole lives, but by now they're literally best friends, so I'm very happy and proud of them, I did not expect things to turn out this great so easily :D

Here they are:
tumblr_mm6ai5qW5O1sppe1to1_500.png

tumblr_mmg8udagBu1sppe1to1_500.png

Oh and I would like to share a few photos of my cages and my birdroom too, if you don't mind, hehe!
I'll attach them as thumbnails since there's so many photos (I've got a lot of stuff, haha!)

Attachments

• buren.jpg
    buren.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 264
  • appletree.jpg
    appletree.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 274
  • rumi.jpg
    rumi.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 164
Hej Svensken!
Fun to see another Swede here, I live in the states however..
Welcome to the forum!! NICE PICS!! you gave me ideas on how to entertain my birdy more.. I found him and know nothing! LOL

Hi Michelle, and welcome to the forum. :)

Both Miley & Alaska are BEAUTIFUL!!!! And I absolutely LOVE their setups and their bird room!!!! That makes for some very happy birdies!!! :D

Welcome! Your Senie's are beautiful and great pictures!

Hej Svensken!
Fun to see another Swede here, I live in the states however..
Welcome to the forum!! NICE PICS!! you gave me ideas on how to entertain my birdy more.. I found him and know nothing! LOL
Haha, hejhej!
Oh, it must be quite a different experience being thrown into parrot ownership by finding a parrot, as opposed to planning everything beforehand! But you seem like you're handling it well and I'm glad I gave you some ideas! :D

Hi Michelle, and welcome to the forum. :)

Both Miley & Alaska are BEAUTIFUL!!!! And I absolutely LOVE their setups and their bird room!!!! That makes for some very happy birdies!!! :D
Thank you so much!!! :2_smile: I am very happy with the bird room so I'm glad to hear you like it! And I've indeed got some happy birdies here, hehe :p

Considering getting another Senegal myself. Both lived on their own previously, how did you get your two so well bonded? They look so lovely in their pictures and wow what a setup!

They look like a right double act :p

From the colors on their chest , they look like a male and a female. Great pictures. thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum:)

they are beautifuL!! LOVE their set up you have! and welcome to the forum :)

Considering getting another Senegal myself. Both lived on their own previously, how did you get your two so well bonded? They look so lovely in their pictures and wow what a setup!

They look like a right double act :p
I think it's AWESOME that you're considering another Sennie! You wouldn't believe the change for better I saw in Alaska after bringing Miley home, she just seemed a lot happier. :) Here in Sweden, it's "almost illegal" having a single parrot (by almost illegal, I mean that it is recommended by law that you have at least two birds, but you don't actually HAVE to) since they live in flocks in the wild. I can really see why! It's just great seeing them interact and enjoy eachother's company.
The thing is, I have no idea how they ended up getting along this well, haha! I never expected that, really. The first few months, they didn't really care about eachother, but they worked together anyways because Alaska doesn't like being on me, just close to me, as opposed to Miley who just wanted to be on my shoulder all day long haha, so they never really had to bother eachother. So they never fighted or anything.
And then, after three or four months, they just kind of... Slowly started interacting, and after a while they even started preening eachother, which was AWESOME, so I encouraged that a lot.
So yeah, they kind of did it all on their own, I just assured they didn't have any opportunity to fight during the months they ignored eachother. :p

Thanks by the way! :D

From the colors on their chest , they look like a male and a female. Great pictures. thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum:)
Thanks!
Oh they most likely are male and female, but you could probably not determine that from their chests on this occasion actually!
I assume you suspect the one with the most green to be female, and the one with the most yellow male? The one with the most yellow is Miley, she's a DNA'd female. Alaska's not DNA'd yet, but both I and a few bird experts suspect her to be male judging by the shape of her head, her size and weight and her behaviour (which I'd say is a bit more accurate than coloring). We still call her a she, though, haha. For some reason. I will update y'all when I have the chance to DNA her though!

they are beautifuL!! LOVE their set up you have! and welcome to the forum :)
Thank you so much! :D:D

That's funny, I was looking at the beak and the coverlets, the one sitting on the left looks female to me.

That's funny, I was looking at the beak and the coverlets, the one sitting on the left looks female to me.

Right on first pic, left on second. Thats Miley... I think! :)

Actually the other way around!
Here's a better picture comparing them when they're next to eachother:
ChBuCC0.png

People have told me that from only the colors, Alaska looks more female than Miley, but when comparing the two, everything else seems to suggest that Alaska is rather male, haha.

Going off 'visual' sexing. Miley looks male and Alaska female.

Which is why it's unreliable! :p

They're both cute regardless. ^^

You guys make me seriously wonder if my senegal Mika is truly female. Lol. We were told she was female and her tail is green and I don't see any orange diffusion in her head, so I have always assumed this was true.

F8D70355-83D8-42AC-BD0D-8AA773305A0D-2765-00000376DDCB212A_zps508937ea.jpg
CB185D8D-EAD1-4B8E-8043-46B268501054-2765-00000376D581DE70_zps1d7727aa.jpg

Going off 'visual' sexing. Miley looks male and Alaska female.

Which is why it's unreliable! :p

They're both cute regardless. ^^
Haha yes, except for the shapes and sizes of their heads. Males tend to have flatter heads and bigger beaks! In real life you also notice that while Miley's taller, Alaska's way more thick and heavy, which also seems to indicate male I think.
It's all so hard, hahaha! But yeah, I've had experts with lots of Sennie experience telling me that Alaska's most likely male. Cant wait until I can DNA her/him though! :D:D

Actually the other way around!
Here's a better picture comparing them when they're next to eachother:
ChBuCC0.png

People have told me that from only the colors, Alaska looks more female than Miley, but when comparing the two, everything else seems to suggest that Alaska is rather male, haha.

Green coverlets suggests female, males are all yellow and no green. However juvinelles have both. How old is Alaska? Visually, as i was told (lol) a females beak is narrower than a males. And they sit lower on a perch. Visually Alaska looks female to me.

Last edited:
You guys make me seriously wonder if my senegal Mika is truly female. Lol. We were told she was female and her tail is green and I don't see any orange diffusion in her head, so I have always assumed this was true.

F8D70355-83D8-42AC-BD0D-8AA773305A0D-2765-00000376DDCB212A_zps508937ea.jpg
CB185D8D-EAD1-4B8E-8043-46B268501054-2765-00000376D581DE70_zps1d7727aa.jpg
She's also got quite a big beak I think, but her head doesn't look that flat and her colors indicate female, so it's very possible that she indeed is a she!

I've also heard that males tend perch with their bodies in a more upright position, whereas females tend to perch in a horizontal position, with their chest facing a bit downwards toward the perch, which would be true for my birdies if Alaska really does turn out to be male.

I always assumed that green under the tail automatically meant female as well, but I met a senegal who had a solid orange tail, I would say it was definately male, even had orange suffusion in the head and she had layed eggs. So, definately female. LOL!

Now I am so wondering what Mika is. I'm not sure what I would say if she were in fact male. 10 years of calling her a "her". haha

Most Reactions

Back